Thursday 12 March 2009

Training: Day 1

Plan: 60 minutes easy run.
Reality: 40 minutes in Central London, train journey & one hour 20 minutes home, carrying a heavy rucksack for the full duration. Easy running and felt physically strong throughout.
Food: fruit & nuts (yoghurt coated) 0ne piece of yorkie (not as good as Freddo frogs) between runs. 500 ml. Rego, fruit, yoghurt & weetabix/ muesli post run. Bagel & peanut butter. Salmon & vegetables. M&Ms!!
Significant events: less than two hours sleep. Emotionally upset. Stiffness in my right hip & ankle (from dodging people in the streets of London during rush hour yesterday)
Comment:
Sorry Nick, but I could not miss the opportunity to explore more of my new city playground, and then go the long way home. Today of all days I needed to run. Needed to remind myself of who I am. I am a runner. I work and yes I do other things, but the thing I do best is run. It has helped me cope and deal with traumatic events in my life, helped me regain my self esteem and belief in life.
Funny, as I wrote that last line the tears finally flowed. I have waited all day for this release and it takes my own words to finally do it - I guess proof that words are more powerful than thoughts. I am relieved as I had visions of having to chop thousands of onions to get the same effect.
I have six months to get myself into the best shape ever, both physically and mentally. It is six months until the Commonwealth Championship.