Sunday 22 March 2009

Finding Hope

What is the most important emotion to us as individuals?   Would every one of us respond to that question with the same answer?  Can you have one emotional feeling without another, do they have to be combined, shared, symbiotic relationship?

The one that I think energises me most is "hope".  Find hope in any situation and I will make it work.  I will fight, I will generate self-energy.  I will find a solution if it is a problem, or move forwards if it is dream.  Lose hope in a situation or lose hope on a dream and I give up.  

Think of a person who has lost their dog.  Perhaps wondered of in unfamiliar surroundings, intensely frightened by something.  Until told factually otherwise, the person never gives up hope of finding their dog.  It gets them out of bed in the morning, helps them focus on a new search, try a different approach, different strategy to find their missing dog.  
I lost a dog once, it took me two weeks, but I did find him again.  If I had given up hope I do not know if I would have found him again.  Perhaps I would not have been in that place when by mere chance he ran past.  Was it "mere chance"? (Let's leave that thought for another day....)  I might never have found him and would possibly have wondered what happened to him for the rest of my life... 

Humans beings are survivors.  Strongest of the species.  Resourceful, inventive and inspirational.  If you do not think you can find hope, you are wrong.  Try a new way and you will find it.  It is there all the time, sometimes hiding, sometimes sleeping.  Try the volcanic approach - a huge eruption, debris everywhere.  But then it is finally out there, no longer secretly contained within!!

I once had a problem that was very much my own.  I was engulfed by this problem.  But I never gave up hope.  For twenty years I awoke every morning with new hope that this would be the day that I would find the solution to that problem, find the strength to overcome.  Every morning the hope would be strong, but then fade towards evening as I knew I would not find the answer that day.  Hope would leave me, but it would return the next day.  Hope finally won when it was joined by belief.  Combine hope and belief and although not guaranteed, rapidly increases the probability of success!

Sometimes I never give up hope.  I cannot yet decide if that is good or bad.  Logic and rational thought tells me it is bad.  Gut feeling tells me that it is good.....?