Saturday 14 March 2009

What is True Love?

Today I asked myself what do I believe to be true love.
I asked myself this because I know what "love" is, it is easy to love. Love thy mother, father, sisters, children, even friends - that is what I define as unconditional love. The ability to love is part of us as human beings. But what is "true love"?
Is true love a romantic ideal that we fantasise about but is not achievable? Do you have to find true love to know that he/ she is "the one"?
Why does true love have to be conditional? Is it conditional? Dependant on meeting our "needs"?
If you strive to find true love will you ever find contentment. Is contentment important?
Is it when you find happiness with another person and commit to sharing a life with them?
Is it when you accept another person for exactly who they are? Can you accept another person if you cannot accept your self?
Should true love be hard work? How deep does one go to find true love?
Do people sacrifice their quest for true love and accept an amicable and easy life?
Is it deemed overly ambitious to seek true love at the expense of happiness and sharing a life and future with someone?
Can you be truly happy if you do not have true love? Is it that important?
If you find true love and loose it can you find it again? Was it not true love if you lost it?
In true love can people make mistakes, errors of judgement and be forgiven - or is that what happens in committed relationships?
So many questions, yet I cannot confidently answer any? Is that because I do not understand true love? How can I answer my questions? Do I need others to provide their thoughts in order for me to confidently answer mine?
Or will I just know when I find it...