Saturday 27 June 2009

World Championships: The Race

This time last week I was one hour into the run of my life.  One hour of my first World Championship race representing Great Britain, and already I was struggling badly.

I am sitting here with a delicious Leffe in a very special glass (acquired from Belgium) reflecting upon the race.

I finished in 8:58, 24th female overall, 15th European.  Way off my target, the result does not tell the story.   One hour into last week’s race and I was already revising my objective.  8:20 was not a reality, and to just finish was going to be a very tough challenge….

I felt very nervous in the hours before the race, nervous but also excited and confident that I had prepared well and was in good form.  I had some cramps in my stomach, but I dismissed them as nerves or possibly just one of the perils of being a female – very inconveniently my body had reminded me the day before of the fact that I am a female of child bearing age!

The start was very congested and completely disorganized as the start marshals tried to make us all reverse into the marathon runners, never a good idea and everyone was getting squashed like little sardines in a tin. 

The smells on the start were almost overpowering: personal odours; strong deodorants; muscle spray-ons; garlic sweat; bottom burps – it really is a weird place to be.  And if you have a good sense of smell you really do suffer!

And then we were off.  8pm local time, 7pm UK time.  The race had begun.

It took a while for me to get into my stride, dodging and diving between runners, trying to settle into my 100k pace.  I had a target of 8:20, which meant that each 5k should be around 25 minutes, 50 mins for 10k.  I reached the first 5k in 24 minutes and 45 seconds, 10k in just under 50 mins.  I passed Adrian and he confirmed my pacing, told me not to go any faster.  I was happy with that.

I started to feel more intense cramps in my stomach and knew that I would require a toilet break soon.  I was starting to think also of food to take on board and at the next stop I took a Freddo frog and bottle of High5.  Normally I would be taking water at this time, but I did not worry, thinking that it would be good to get some extra carbohydrates into my system as early as possible.  Mistake number 4 (I will explain 1,2 & 3 later). 

Within minutes my Freddo frog had left me and was destined to end his life drowning in High 5, somewhere in the Belgium countryside.

I did not panic and took some water at the next station.  Too early to worry…

The race itself was a 20k loop between two towns, Torhout and Lechtervelde, both towns enjoying party celebrations throughout the night – a carnival atmosphere being had by all.

As I ran through Torhout for the second time, something was wrong inside me.  The cramps were intensifying and I knew that I had to find the portaloo soon.  There were none.  I kept running; hoping to make the countryside, make the security of space and obscurity.  It did not happen.  I will spare you the details, but I do offer sincere apologise to the locals sitting on the park bench and I offer thanks to trees and thick bushes.

At the next stop I took on more isotonic drink, trying to replace the fluids and fuel so forcibly ejected from my body.  The cramps subsided a little and I got to think more of the race and enjoy the Belgium countryside. 

We passed delightful little bouncing lambs, numerous young foals and fields of cows.  The Belgium cows are amazing, they look like bulls due to their massive rumps.  Huge muscular hind legs and they are very long in body as well.  I wonder if they have been "designed" to produce the best rump steak?  I remember that I have my steak challenge ahead...

All along the route there were many locals outside their country houses, but not many offer words of encouragement.  They are just silent watchers.  

More isotonic drink at the next stop and determined optimism that I would replenish my body and get through this bad patch.

My body decided otherwise and ejected the isotonic drink.  I felt despair, it happened just as I entered Lechtervelde and right in front of the locals.  I continued running, but considered stopping.  Turning around, walking back to the last drinks station and Adrian.

And then the most amazing thing happened….

A little boy and little girl came running up to me, I think they were brother and sister.  The boy had his arm outstretched and nestled in his palm was a little bundle of mints.  He offered them up to me with such insistence that I could not say no.  I put them in my mouth and hoped for the best.  He then moved to my right hand side and his little sister came on my left with her arm also outstretched.  There was nothing in her palm and I did not understand at first what she was trying to do.  I hesitated and then reached out to touch her hand.  And she grabbed my hand, grabbed it with all her strength and held on.  As I ran she ran with me, holding my hand and grasping her teddy close to her body.  She was a beautiful little girl with dark features and long flowing hair.  Her face was so alight and she looked so happy.  She gave me something that I was in fear of losing.  She gave me hope and energy combined.  I think I stole some of her energy, although maybe not stole as she gave so freely.  It was an amazing moment running through the town and a memory that stuck with me for the rest of the race and beyond.

Renewed determination, I revised my objective.  Time did not matter in this race, I just had to finish and learn from the mistakes that I had made.  Learn from them in time for the Commonwealths.  It did not matter if it took me ten hours to get round.  I just had to do it.

I quickly tried to think of which foods could help me best.  I opted for Rego.  Liquid carbohydrate and protein combined and also my “comfort” bottle.  Mistake number 5 was to guzzle this bottle way too quickly…..

Back though Torhout, de-javu looking for that portaloo.  I didn’t even make it to the bushes.  I am so, so, sorry to anyone that had the misfortune of seeing the consequences of body rejecting food.  At least darkness offered some privacy!

Now I was worried.  Nowhere near halfway yet and I was in trouble.  I have never been here before and I did not know what to do. 

And so I asked for help.  I told Carolyn (a brilliant support manager and exceptional Ultra Athlete, still holding at least one World Record) what was happening and asked her what I could do.  Coca Cola and little bits of banana was her advice as she handed me some.  I do not like coca cola so to drink it is not the most pleasant experience.  I nibbled the banana and hoped for the best.

By now I was very aware that countryside toilets do not offer the same facilities that our homes do, no toilet paper or wet wipes.  I will spare you the details, but offer some advice.  If you are ever in the same situation do not use High 5 as an alternative, and do not do it in front of a feeding station!  To the Irish lady, whose name I did not get – thank you, you were my saving angel!

It took a while, but the coca cola and banana did help.  I stopped feeling sick, the cramps subsided and I started feeling some energy within my body.

For the next while, I drunk lots of coke and water, but found that I was stopping every half an hour to relieve my bladder.  I felt very dehydrated and probably was upon reflection as there are no electrolytes in coca cola; therefore my body was probably not absorbing most liquid efficiently.

I had some Nuun (electrolyte drink) and tried some muffins, they were yummy and a good alternative to carrot cake.

My hope to finish remained strong and this in return willed my body into a stronger response and I found that my running was strong and determined.

In the early part of the race I had a vision of me running the final lap through the town of Torhout with a Union Jack in one hand and a Saltire in the other.  I shared my vision with Adrian and he promised to help me make it happen.  I felt goose bumps as I thought of it, felt deep emotion within my body.

I spent much time within the race thinking of all my friends and family.  I remembered everyone’s pre race words and felt their spirits by my side, willing me on.  Different people and different words appearing in my mind on different stretches of the route -memories constantly being triggered by different stimuli.

My legs felt very strong, and my mind was focused and determined. 

I finally plucked up the courage to look at my watch and had the clarity of mind to work out what time I could anticipate to finish in.  I realized that I must have picked up the pace as my ETA was now around nine hours.  If I could really pull something out of the bag I might be able to make sub nine.  This realization spurred me on.  My last time check had me coming home in ten hours, now I could still make the Commonwealth Championship time (again as I have already gone sub nine on two previous occasions).

I was now going to complete my sixth 100k.  From six starts I would have six finishes – pretty good statistic.  Each one has given me something different, something to learn from to make me stronger, prepare me for September’s race.

I reached the second last feed station and saw both Adrian and Carolyn, felt their encouragement and took their advice.  5k to the last feed station and then only 2k after that.  Neither spoke of time to me, but I knew, and I knew that it was very close.

The 5k between feed stations was the longest 5k that I have ever run, it just went on and on.  My body felt strong, but it felt like the clock was moving faster than time itself and each stride was taking me further from my 9-hour target.  I barged through the final station, not daring to stop for anything.  Carolyn was ahead of me with both flags, the plan to hand them to me further down the road when there was no danger of them slowing me down or adding to my tiredness.  I gave chase after her, like dog chasing hare.  I was running after a World Champion and I was going to catch her….

We reached the town and I was given my treasures.  Union Jack in left hand, Saltire in right I flew through the town arms high above my head.  It was amazing and the pride in me was overwhelming.  I was flying and chasing the clock, it waited for me, felt like it stopped for me, helped me at the end.  I reached the finish.  8:58:12.

 

So what were my mistakes, where did I go wrong?  Food.   I did things differently and completely underestimated the affects:

Spaghetti Bolognese the night before – I reacted badly the following morning and throughout the day.   I chose to over rule my gut feeling not to eat it.  I did not want to create a scene, appear fussy and not trying to fit in.

Late lunch and accepting something I had not ordered because it was so late and I was panicking that I had to eat something.  Again my gut feeling told me no, and I chose to over rule it.

Cheap cereal (alternatives to what I know works for me) just before the race - trying to save money proving ineffective

I had also planned on wearing my ankle support from the start of the race, at the last minute I decided against that plan.  From 20k I was feeling intense pain and it collapsed several times before I put my ankle support on.  My right knee also caused me distress later in the race, giving way several times and I think this was due to the excessive strain when my ankle was hurting most or possibly related to the hip problem.

Plus there is also the fact that I had returned from China only days before the race

I have been dealing with a hip injury since March, and quit treatment in the lead up to the race purely because I could not afford it

And I discovered yesterday from a blood test, that I have been fighting a viral infection for some time, which could explain a lot of my flu like symptoms of late….