Wednesday 3 June 2009

Lunch time Running in London


Here’s a nice little lunch time run – 38 minutes at easy pace.  Just long enough to blow out the morning cobwebs, returning fully energized for an afternoon’s hard slog in the office.

It was one of those almost spontaneous runs, no serious planning, just a request from a friend, and as I write, just realized it was my first run around London with another person!!

The aim was to get to Green Park, one of London’s parks, where it would be a little quieter and more relaxing than running around busy streets.  

Of course several busy streets have to be negotiated first, so bracing ourselves we surge forth amidst a sea of city dwellers….

Leaving Great Newport Street we headed through China Town, where I temporarily got lost in the moment.  I am going to visit China next week for the first time.  I am very excited and yet very nervous.  Travelling alone – big adventure, but big scary too.  What if I get lost, cannot eat or struggle to sleep (big worry the week before a World Championship race).  Lost in the moment of China/ Town I drift along, smelling the smells and taking in the sights of what feels like a different world.

We exit China Town and head down a congested street (I will look at my map when I get home, but I think we were heading to Piccadilly Circus/ Regent Street.).  People everywhere, we duck and dive, covering many extra yards as we bounce from window front, to edge of pavement.  I think of the dogs, the fun we could have playing slalom games upon the streets of London.  Probably scaring the nation as a pack of wolves careers down City Streets!

It is fun.  I feel invigorated as we charge down the streets.  Feel powerful, as we are running and others only walking.  I would love to be like the Pied Piper, the man whom all the rats follow by music, only I want others to follow me running.  Want them to feel the invigoration, the energy and the freedom that running brings – the world that can open up to you.

We reach Green Park and breathe a wee sigh of relief.  We have space now to run full stride (if we wanted, but lets keep it easy pace for now) and head right in the park heading towards Hyde Park.

There is now a mass of runners before us, so different from the streets only minutes before.  These runners are heading in all directions, all in their own little worlds – some with earphones, some with friends, others merely with their own thoughts.

Today I have some of my thoughts, plus also words shared with a friend, my running companion for the day.  I am not used to running with others and not used to holding a conversation as I run.  I feel my breathing affected, feel my body reacting differently to the variation in oxygen uptake.  It is not bad, just different and I am enjoying the companionship and sharing of time and space.  Too often running is my world alone, where I go to escape from others and deal with pain and my own mind demons.  Or at least I used to, in what now feels like a previous life.  Now I run for fun and with intent.  A deep desire to follow and pursue my dream until the end.

We reach Hyde Park Corner and enter the park, turning right and running along the sand for a few short strides, thinking of beaches and the salty sea, summer suns and BBQs.  Galloping bareback on a grey Spanish horse, mane and hair flying in the wind.  It is amazing how creative the mind can be when running upon ground prepared for horses living in the City!

We run partially around Hyde Park before taking a left at one of the Cross Roads, heading towards the Serpentine.  Admiring the view of Kensington in the distance we think – our geography might need a little work…

The ducks and geese are aplenty on this path, ambling merrily along between water and path.  If only they knew that the previously committed vegetarian is now looking at them and thinking how much iron does your body have, if I can eat deer, can I eat you…?

Food cravings not satisfied, we leave the ducks alive for now, and head back to Hyde Park Corner and down towards Buckingham Palace.

Running along Horse Guards Parade I am struck by the number of Union Jack flags proudly flying high.  I think of the Union Jack that I will soon be wearing across my chest, and remember that I have still not received my precious GBR kit.  The clothes that when I wear for the first time will bring me emotion like none I have ever felt before.  I believe I will feel a sense of pride that I might well never feel again.  The “first time”, in so many areas of our lives is always special, a treasured moment to carry forward through all the tough times we know we will encounter in the future.

We have a final burst towards Trafalgar Square, where I nearly needed to resort to First Aid treatment when my running friend nearly lost her ankle on a misplaced paving slab, slightly proud from its companion.

Trafalgar Square is our finish line today.  We walk from there to the office, cooling down and savouring the post run feeling.  I look across at the Albannach and remember Saturday night, remember the experience pre, during and post.

Memories are good.  If you write a memory, you encapsulate it in time.  It is there for eternity.  So long as you remember to press the SAVE button.