Sunday 14 June 2009

HONG KONG 香港



WOW, what a day. 
It began with an early morning run round Shanghai nineteen hours earlier, progressed to an Audit of a multi national Company, confirmation of another business trip to a different continent and finally a midnight run around Hong Kong.
I am in awe of the opportunities that I am being given.
The run around Hong Kong was not planned.  Arrival at the hotel was late and the intention was to have a drink and do a little sight seeing.  I was going to attempt a very short run the following morning before departure from the hotel at 5:45 am.  Situation changed and I found myself spontaneously deciding to explore this city in the best way possible that I know – running!
I had no running clothes left, so had to improvise and run in alternative clothing.  I wonder if wonder bra would like me to advertise alternative uses of their merchandise….  Thank fully I did not receive any unwarranted attention due to the fact that I was running around a city in my underwear and a freebie cotton race t-shirt!  Oh the benefits of being not very well endowed!!  And to be honest I actually felt very safe running around the city.  My choice of clothing certainly did not restrict my fun.
The view of Hong Kong by night is breathtaking, amazing structures, buildings and symphony of magical lights everywhere.  They say it is a city that never sleeps at night.  I believe them.
I had experienced many bright lights in the areas of China already visited, but the comparison to the crisp, clear colours and contours of Hong Kong was phenomenal.  Lights combined with smog and poverty, versus lights in clean crisp air and wealth.
My mind was hazing as I was running, awe struck and the adrenalin pumping through my body contributing to the effect.  A week of virtually no sleep and a body still living in UK time I think I am living on adrenalin at the moment.  I will crash soon I know, perhaps on the long flight home tomorrow I will catch up and recovery will be swift.
I was running with camera in one hand, trying to take photographs as I ran through the city.  Reviewing them later on my computer I see that none are focused, they are all hazy and blurry due to the night-lights and inappropriate camera/ settings.  I do not mind.  These photos will be an everlasting memory of this once in a lifetime run.  The blurs, haziness and general haphazardness of this run will be etched in them forever. 
I ran erratically around the buildings, aiming for the harbour but wanting to take the long route to get there in order to absorb as much of Hong Kong as possible.
I found the path beside the Peak tram first - I would never have thought it possible to power a train up the steepness of this track.  I would love to ride this train, all the way to the top and experience the view of Hong Kong by day.  Next visit…
Following this path, very steep steps all the way down into Central, I picked up the Bank of China building and decided to use this as my base.  No matter where I was in the city I could look and see the white triangles and know that I could make it safely back to the hotel.  It was my beacon.
I do not know the names of any of the streets that I ran along, I ran back and forth, along streets, paths and bridges.  All the way to the harbour and the lights across the bay. 
I was disappointed to discover that the harbour has odours that are not very pleasant.  It seems some how inappropriate in such a clean and wealthy city.  I assume that the “Fragrant Harbour” translation for ‘Hong Kong” is not due to the smell that I experienced?
By the time I reached the harbour, humidity had taken affect and my clothes were adhered to my body, saturated in dampness.  Thank goodness for electrolyte drinks as I guzzled half one pint in a matter of seconds.
I remained in the harbour area for a few minutes, time to let my liquid fuel take affect and to daydream across the bay….
I felt the urge to speak to my friends and family.  I had my phone and spoke to several, wanting to share this moment with them, others I could not reach.
My next target was the large ICF Tower, the one where Christian Bale, AKA Batman jumped from in the Dark Knight.  (I had this very fact reiterated to me when we exited the train station only one hour earlier - I felt goose bumps at the time, emotion strong as I gazed open mouthed at the tower and its little companion tower with the same top.)
I wanted a photo of both ICF buildings, preferably both towers in one shot to show the comparison.
I did get the view, see the sight of both ICF towers, unfortunately my camera did not share the same clarity with which I enjoyed the experience!
I ran through a shopping mall, ran past the signs for every designer known to man I think.  I have heard of most, but never owned any of their clothes, or any of their accessories  Perhaps one day I will.  Perhaps one day I can walk in one of their shops and leave with a treasured possession.  Something that I will only ever wear or carry on the most special of occasions, a time in the future when I live like a princess.  Golly gosh, I think over tiredness is starting to kick in!
I ran past a line of the special red taxis, so symbolic of Hong Kong.  The same style taxi that helped us from station to hotel, and back again.
I headed for my white triangled building, my beacon for the return journey home to hotel and bed.  I did not want to go to bed, to end this evening, but I knew that if I continued to run tomorrow would be hard, I would be sleepy and near exhaustion.  I must get some sleep, must remember that I have a World Championship event to run in one week’s time.
Reaching the BOC building signified the start of my steep climb up the hill (of name I know not) and back to the hotel.  Running up the steep stairs beside the tram was tough.  Fatigue beginning to affect my legs, make them heavy and tight.
I ran past one “lady of the night”, the first that I have ever seen….  I felt sad when I saw her.  Sad that for her, and the job that she feels she must do.  And I feel sad for the people that pay her.
I make it back to the hotel.  My body feels so alive with the buzz, the energy of the city providing the charge.  I feel emotional for what I have just shared.
Sleep will not come easily for me tonight, I do not want to close my eyes and leave this place.