Friday 19 June 2009

World Championships: The Opening Ceremony

It was over so quickly. 
The parade of athletes through the town and then each country's athletes individually introduced to the crowd.  Heather and I carried the flag together, proud to be carry the heart of a nation onto the stage.
A Scottish saltire was given to me by a good friend.  I draped the scarf around me as we walked to the Pasta Party and it stayed with me throughout the evening.  First and foremost I am British, but I am proud to be a Scotswoman.  I am the only Scottish person running at these Championships, I will run to make you all proud!
The pasta part was cool, I even managed a huge bowlful of pasta - unusual for someone who is not a fan of pasta!
I met more people from different countries, sharing experiences and hopes for the race.
I was even interviewed by the IAU, the worlds biggest ultra running organisation - bit like the IAAF I think, only for Ultra Running.  The interview will be posted on the website - wow!

Looking through all the teams and their best times, it is easy for me to feel extremely intimidated, feel as though I should not be here amongst these phenomenal athletes.
But, I remind myself that I am here on merit, I may not be the best but I have earned the right to run amongst these people.  I am only just starting out on my journey at this level, I have time to gradually improve it takes time and I have that.  I just need to be patient and realistic too.  This week is about experience, realising a dream and taking that forward to my next dream.

This morning my body feels weird.  I have rested in a way I have never before.  I slept for nearly nine hours!  Every part of me feels sluggish and heavy, but worried I am not.  My clever body is preserving itself for the biggest race of its life.  I know when the time comes that the energy will be there.  The pain I feel in ankle and hip will have subsided and body and mind will be strong.
I have prepared all my drinks and food for this evening.  There are nine hours to go....