Thursday 18 June 2009

World Championships Eve

I am finally in Belgium, relaxing and mentally preparing for tomorrow's race.  
The journey was long yesterday, Salisbury to Torhout - 9:15 am  - 8:30 pm before we reached our destination.  It was an exciting journey, met with many unexpected events, including a telephone interview with Scotland's biggest Sunday paper!
I do not feel nervous at the moment, but that will come.  The opening ceremony is in two hours time and I believe that it will be a phenomenally emotional event for me - perhaps when it really sinks in.  I will get to carry the flag of Great Britain, proudly carry it during the ceremony - it might be the moment of a life time.
I have met many of the other athletes, from many different countries and have been welcomed by all - even those that do no speak English.  There have been Germans, Hungarians, Mexicans, Australians, Canadians....
I have also been around the course (by car) and for the first time ever in a race, I have a pacing plan.  I have been discussing the race with Team Manager and Coach and seeking as much advice as possible - they are here to help me, and help me they most certainly are.
I feel like I am being treated as a princess by all around me, and this happening because of my love of running