Sunday 4 October 2009

On a roll?

Feeling refreshed and confident after last week's 5k, I decided to attempt a 10k. Gradually build myself up to the Gosport 1/2 marathon in November. Until I have the results of the ankle scan I will continue to train according to how my ankle and body feel. Ankle support continues to work. Very little pain when running.
10k was in Portsmouth, along the sea front so flat and fast as long as the wind was low.
Again I had only one objective for the race. Further successful testing of the support, build upon my growing confidence. And take time during the race to give further thought to THE PLAN that has been growing in my mind for several weeks now....
300 people on the start line, I started near the front to try and avoid any trouble during the intial dash from the gun.
I started my watch several minutes before the start as I wanted to analyse my heart rate pre, during and post race. Trying to build up a scientific profile of how my body works.
Took me about 1k to settle into confortable running pace, just under 7 minute mile pace. Breathing was comfortable and I feel confident that it will not be long before I can maintain that pace and effort for 26 miles. That would give me my sub 3 hour marathon. A big target and big goal.
Under 2k into the race and I knew that I was the lead female. Didn't feel confortable as I knew there were some good runners in the race. Was surprised that I found myself in this position.
Nothing much to report about the race, I kept up the same(ish) pace for about 7k and then for some reason started easing back. I kept on expecting another female to appear on my shoulder,but was determined not to look back to see where they were.
For the first time ever, I crossed the line to break the tape. They actually put a tape across the line for me to run through as the first female. That felt quite cool. A good experience, unfortuantely no photographs to accompany the occassion, just my memories...