Sunday 27 September 2009

A change is as good as a rest?


One week and one day after finshing a race in complete agony. I find myself on the start line of another race. From 100k to 5k. My mind would have previously struggled with the point of putting my trainers on to run for only 5k. Today I am excited, energised and full of enthusiasm. My sole objective for today's race is to run confidently from start to finish. Know no fear as far as my ankle is concerned. The news support has been standing up well to test so far, now to see how it copes with speed and effort....
Very bumpy and eneven grass to start with. For nearly 1k I ran with my eyes glued to the ground, checking out every bump and lump, wanting no surprises, no stumbles. The onto dry mud path, easier to assess the surface but trecherous with all the tree roots and muddy ruts.
I knew I was running close to front of the race, knew that I had just overtaken the lead female. Whilst this did give me a nice feeling of confidence, I was prepared that I could be overtaken later and that was ok. Winning a 5k was not today's objective.
My second objective for the race was to raise my heart rate to a higher level that I ever achieve in training. I still do not know what my maximum heart rate is. Minimum so far recorded is 35bpm, maximum an unknowm and probably will not be determined until I am properly lab tested (lab test is on my long list of "to do's!).
And so back to the race.... Nearly took a wrong turn in my enthusiasm, marshall shouted at me just as I started heading left instead of right after the 4k marker. My breathing was heavy, heart and lungs working hard. Sunglasses steaming up (ahh the perils of loaning my precious Oakleys to someone else), legs and arms pumping hard. Thinking about it... am I allowed to blame poor vision due to "misted over" sunglasses for wrong turns...?
I eased back a little over the final 1k, wanting to ensure that I had something left for the final sprint finsh. Ankle feeling strong, I went for it. Pushed those last few metres and finished the race. First female to cross the line. For me a new experience. Winning a 5k race!
Gulping down lots of water, I waited contentedly for my friend to finish the 10k race. Can one feel contentment if one's heart rate is somewhat excessive? To me it certainly felt like contentment, and also a feeling of hope. A new hope freshly planted within my mind and body.
The offer of a pub lunch was put to me. My immediate thought was how can I have a relaxing dinner before I have a post run shower. Panic set in, being a creature of habit it was not what I do. There is a routine that must be followed. Runners etiquite surely?
But hey, ho, something definitely changing within me as I was persuaded by my friend to go for that pub lunch. And you know what... it was one of the best lunches I have ever had! Valuable lesson learned.