Friday 25 September 2009

Fall off the horse, get right back on...

By the following day, I was already forming a plan in my mind as to the way forward.
My mind felt so positive and strong,
Back to basics, forget Ultra Running for a while. Let my body rest and ankle recover. Surgery if necessary, try a new support immediately. I would run again. Would run confidently and without fear (that was the worst part of THE race. the fear).
Start with short distances, 5k, 10k, see how it goes.
Immediate phone call to ankle consultant. Appointment made, scan awaits...
Meeting with new sponsor. Two new supports to try. The ones I had my eye on for some time...
As I pulled on the support I felt very apprehensive. Like wearing an open toes boot inside my trainers. Lace up and stap on, the try to fit within a shoe!
But it works. I does not put pressure upon my ankle. Does not force it where it does not want to go. And it feels surprisingly comfortable. So much so that I wore it for a full 12 hours solid as I walked around London City centre (reason why I was there is another story, for another day...).
Running felt good. Wearing the correct trainers, i.e. neutral and NOT supportive, combined with this support and I felt hope in a way that I had not for a while.
Time to put it to the test and attempt a 5k race next Sunday...