Monday 8 October 2012

Royal Parks Ultra 2012


The offer of a place in the inaugural Royal Parks Ultra from the fabulous people at Salomon, was an offer too tempting to resist.  Presented with a chance to run 50k through the parks of London city, and participate in a very special event.  The fact that the race was the weekend immediately before a very important race for me meant that my objective was purely to enjoy a very special longish distance training run.  It would also be an ideal opportunity to trial my new Rehband compression shorts, calf guards and arm sleeves.

The pre-race pack provided loads of information about the event, lots of SIS goodies, a fabulous event t-shirt and a pair of Salomon S-Lab socks.  I decided to save the race t-shirt until after the race but trial the new socks during the run – the perfect complement for my shoe of choice… the Salomon XR Mission.

Parking at Richmond railway station, I jumped on the train and headed to London, disembarking at South Kensington to walk the short distance to the race headquarters in Hyde Park.  I had chosen to not bring a drop bag as I wanted to avoid any queuing before and after the run – I should not have worried as the queues were minimal at both ends.  Anyway, my choice meant that all the clothes that I wore to the start would be packed away in my backpack that I would run all 50k with.  Sadly not a Salomon, instead it was my trusty Camelbak that had accompanied me all the way on my recent Ridgeway success.  Today’s bag would be packed full of food, phones, keys, money and my warm up clothes.

The run started in Hyde Park, and headed down towards Westminster before turning left along the Embankment and across Blackfriars Bridges, before picking up the Thames Path on the south side.  We ran the same route as the half marathon until part way down Embankment (just after passing the London Eye).  The ultra-race actually started 30 minutes after the half marathon, but even after that length of time we were overtaking runners within minutes of starting, ducking and diving around them, good slaloming practice!

As we ran through London I reminisced a lot about my time working there… It was only three years ago and yet it feels like a lifetime ago.  Fabulous memories, both good and bad…..

I felt very thirsty within a few miles of starting.  I regretted not carrying any water in my Camelbak, but looked forward to the water station at 5k that I had been told about….  Sadly I was misinformed and the feeding station did not appear until 10k.  However it was a brilliant feeding station, offering water, SIS juice, gels, bars and Percy Pigs.  However, I now know that Sandra and Percy Pigs are not a good combination….

After guzzling lots of SIS energy drink at the feeding station, I headed on my way towards the parks of London….  I was surprised that I seemed to be running on rather a lot of tarmac.  For some reason I had thought that running in parks would provide me with the opportunity to run on grass, trail and all the good stuff that is not tarmac…..

One of the consequences of running on so much tarmac - I love my XR Missions, but I was really feeling uncomfortable with the reduced cushioning that they offer in comparison with my Asics road shoes.  My ankle was complaining and I realised at the 6.5 miles point that my run today was going to be more challenging than I had thought.

I was also getting a little frustrated with the London locals and her visitors.  Dozens of dogs off leads coming too close for comfort, people on bikes meandered in front of runners and tourists stood and stared – packs of them crowding the path as we tried to negotiate a safe passage towards our destination, taking photographs, queuing for the attractions…
Don’t worry, politeness remained top priority at all times, even on those occasions when I really wanted to be grumpy!!

At 35k, I suddenly recognised Richmond Town Hall – the start of the Thames Path 100, my first ever experience of a 100 mile race.  The crowds in this area were exceptionally friendly and supportive, and I felt a lovely little buzz as I glided through….  And then I finally got to run across a large expanse of grass – my first ever run through Richmond Park.  Suddenly my Salomon XR Missions and I were where our hearts belong.  A mixture of terrain, gravel grass and even some mud we both came alive!  We even found a little hill….  One day we will return to enjoy even more of it, bringing with us some huskies to help us explore all the little paths that meander off the main route….

Speaking of the inspiring support around Richmond, I must also mention the amazing marshals that accompanied this race.  A phenomenally friendly and supportive group of people, they appeared at almost every corner or junction of the route, always smiling and offering compliments – thank you all!!
Upon exiting Richmond Park I started struggling again, ankle aching and worries about the affect my run today would have on my performance at next week’s race.  My right hip and lower back were sore from chaffing from my Camelbak and my hands were swelling as a result of dehydration.

But there were lots of positives…. Thanks to my new Salomon socks and the larger size of XR Missions, I was not suffering from blisters or any toe problems.  All my Rehband compression clothing felt very comfortable.  In particular I must compliment the Rehband shorts.  Not only are they extremely comfortable, they also do not hold moisture in the way that other brands of compression clothing does.  Very encouraging news for my future racing plans.  I also wore the compression tights for 14 hours after the run and awoke to fresh legs able to go running with huskies!

I loved running through Bushy Park.  For five years I have wanted to run a 5k in this park and thanks to Royal Parks Ultra I finally did!  What a lovely park, especially when I got to stop and video some rutting stags at 48.5k.  The temptation proved too much when I turned a corner and they were right in front of me!

The last 1.5k after my impromptu stag stop was easily the fastest of my run – had I continued that pace for another 3.5k I would have rivalled my parkrun PB….

I was particularly impressed with the finish marquee.  There was plentiful food, drinks (including beers) and seats for everyone.  Showers were available, as was a shuttle bus service to Teddington Station.  I felt brave enough to try eating a burger, I felt my body deserved some special attention after safely transporting my mind and her demons through the streets (and parks) of London.

The goody bag was also a delight to rummage through.  Crisps, bananas, mints, Salomon goodies, SIS treats and water bottle, and even some broad beans to plant in my garden.  The medal was an engraved wooden leaf – a very special memento.

I have found a perfect event for Ian to run next year, one which I would love to support him on – meet him in every park with our pack of huskies, by then we will hopefully have sussed out the best way to deal with off lead and out of control dogs….;-)

And for anyone that did not know… the eight Royal Parks are: Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Regent’s Park, St James’s Park, Bushy Park, Richmond Park and Greenwich Park.

(image courtesy of Royal Parks Foundation)