Sunday 14 October 2012

European Cani-cross Championships: Sunday


Sunday, mass start with all the European hounds and their humans, plus one husky in the corner, unsure of what was about to happen…  He trotted to the start line and stood watching all the hounds.  As they leapt round, screaming and lurching forward, Kroi stood and watched, with a look of amusement on his face….   He soon got bored with the hounds’ antics and turned to watch the spectators on the other side of the fence.  A toddler giggled and pointed at him, Kroi responded by squeezing his head through the fence and gently nuzzling the child.

Dogs lunged and snarled at Kroi, he stood and stared, gently grumbling under his breath, but never raising his voice above a whisper.  He walked away from these dogs as they tried to drag their human towards us.  Super chilled and very relaxed I knew I had made the correct choice – Kez would have been petrified, worried that every dog wanted to hurt him.  Kroi just laughed and refused to accept any offers of a  fight….

As we were called forward, 30 second warning, Kroi turned to watch the hounds again.  Their frantic barking had become louder and Kroi appeared to find this very entertaining without feeling the need to respond. 

The “gun” went and all the hounds bolted forward, several of them lunging at each other, humans desperately trying to pull them away.  Kroi remained rooted to the spot….

I pressed my stopwatch as he turned to look at me.  “On you go then” was all I said and off he went, well behind all the runners I watched in amazement at the complete lack of control the runners had over their dogs.  All they could do was flap their arms around and hang on for dear life as the hounds descended towards the woods at breakneck speed.

We ran towards the woods at a more sedate pace, me laughing at the weirdness of it all…

We over took the first runner after about 1 mile.  Unfortunately she was a runner that shouted constantly at her dog, which caused Kroi to become rather fearful.  He slowed down and ran beside me for a while.  None of our dogs respond well to loud or aggressive voices as they know that it means something bad has happened.  It is very rare for Ian or I to raise our voice.  We have noticed how negatively the dogs respond to even the slightest change of tone in our voice and therefore try to avoid doing this unless absolutely necessary.

I eventually convinced Kroi to run in front of me again, just as we turned away from the previous 3.4k course to run on the longer 6k course.  He hesitated as we pulled away from the route of the previous day, unsure of what now lay ahead…   He had never run on this route, whereas I had run along it about 1 hour prior to the race as part of my warm up/ recce of the route.

This is when it started getting very interesting….. I did not instruct Kroi which route to take through the mud and variable terrain, but he chose to follow almost identically in my footsteps from my earlier run.  Did I choose the “husky/ human friendly” route and he was now following it, was it a mere coincidence and he just happened to follow the same path, or was there unspoken words between us as we ran…..

We ran down a very steep section before immediately running up a very steep and muddy hill.  Kroi surged forward to help me up the hill and I tried to follow.  By now I was a little “out of puff” and struggled to run at speed up the hill.  Kroi slowed down as the steepest section and as I huffed and puffed he stepped of the course and “visited” a tree.  He glanced back at me as he did this, almost as if to tell me what exactly was on his mind….;-)

There then followed more mud before we entered a really fun, wooded section.  Lots of twisting turns and ups and downs, Kroi picked up the pace as we ran along the type of terrain that we encounter on a daily basis – exposed tree roots and rabbit holes, fun obstacles to tests our skills.  I did chuckle when I saw the padded trees.  Wads of foam had been strapped to some trees to protect runners that struggled to negotiate some of the bends.  I wonder if I should fit some permanent foam to areas of concern when I am out running early in the morning, just in case…;-)

As we re-joined the course from yesterday, I spotted Ian with camera poised, taking more of his brilliant photographs.  Kroi instantly recognised him, ears pricked towards him.  I reluctantly chose not to speak to Ian and asked Kroi to continue past.  Slight hesitancy, but he did obey and ran onwards towards the finish.

As we hit the final straight we picked up the pace a little, with a slight detour towards some people with cameras….  Did I mention the detours en-route every time we saw a camera?  Kroi really does get distracted by anyone with a camera and cannot help but run towards them….
Two races in one weekend and Kroi exceeded my expectations on both occasions.  He ran happy, I ran happy, mission accomplished.

This weekend we said goodbye to “Superbrat” and hello to “Superstar”.  Kroi and I will never win short distance cani-cross races when competing against hounds purposely bred for this job.  Kroi is a Siberian Husky, born and bred to run very long distances at a very controlled pace.  I will no longer try to make him something that he is not.   We will still have fun running in short races, but our hearts belong elsewhere.  I have been so impressed with his attitude and running this weekend that I am about to offer him a special opportunity…. It involves a very long run on The Ridgeway with his big brother….. :-)

(photo courtesy of tzruns)