Saturday 6 October 2012

Dogs at parkrun: the inside story….

After last week’s tears of distress on the way home from parkrun, quite the opposite happened today.  More tears but this time they were tears of happiness….

There have been a lot of discussions lately relating to running parkrun with dogs.  Decisions have been made and it is time to move on.  However, I thought today that it would be a nice idea to share with others the advantage and disadvantage that a human runner has when running with a dog.  I think a lot of people have assumed that if they borrow one of my dogs then they are guaranteed a personal best time and will be running faster than they ever thought possible.  Whilst this may be possible, it is not quite that simple….

Firstly, when running attached to a dog, you have to be fully trusting of that dog.  You have to know how it will react to almost every situation and you have to be one step ahead.  A look to the left, flick of ear to the right… it could indicate that there is something out of sight that has their attention…

Today as we flew down the starting chute at parkrun, I knew that Kroi was in pursuit of “something”.  His body was tense and Kez frequently “bounced” him (Kez scolds his little brother by pouncing on him when he believes that he is being naughty).  At first I thought that Kroi was chasing Clive (who was on a bike desperately trying to get down the course and into position to take photographs of the runners), but Kroi has never previously been interested in chasing other runners or cyclists.  Then I wondered if it was just because the weather was a little cooler or was it because the herd of wild ponies were close by… 

As we approached the first left hand turn, my instinct was correct.  The herd of horses were galloping across the course heading towards the “onion smelling” factory!!  One straggler was panicking as it had been left behind by the herd and was in danger of being trapped in the gorse bushes.  I had to take action to avoid further panicking the poor pony.  I pulled the dogs off the course, which meant that Kroi suddenly decided that following the herd at full speed would be more fun than taking a detour and then re-joining the course….

This is where it gets a little scary.  For a split second, Kroi surged forward after the horses before Kez and I were able to turn him round and back onto the course.  Had I not been able to regain control so quickly, he would have gone into full flight after the horses, taking both Kez and I with him.  He can run at more than 30 miles per hour, I cannot and he is also infinitely stronger than me!

Back on the course, the dogs’ enthusiasm dropped and we were soon being caught by our fellow parkrunners.  A loose pack of dogs being walked on the common further slowed us down as I had to ensure we trotted safely through them.  We slalomed round them and started picking up the pace, only for a completely out of control dog to come charging across, barking and snarling at the two huskies.  They panicked and I panicked, fearing yet another vicious dog attack.  We slowed down again, checking to make sure we were not going to infringe any other runners.  As the aggressive dog launched itself at the boys I shouted at it and miraculously it pulled away and started heading back to its owner.  By now Kez and Kroi were down to “jogging” and I was able to hold a conversation with the leading male runner as he overtook me.

Feeling frustrated I decided to still push myself on, even if the dogs were no longer “assisting” me.  I could still have an okay run and get another step closer to my 100th parkrun, no point in just giving up.

As we took the final turn, another off lead dog came charging across.  This time we stopped completely as it barged against my leg.  Had I continued running, I most definitely would have been tripped up and hurt badly on the gravel surface.

I managed to encourage the dogs to pick up the pace in the last half mile of the run, finishing strongly and pleased to see that it was Kroi encouraging Kez to run quicker – Kez has become rather lazy of late!!

Had I not been running with dogs today, I would not have been worried about stampeding ponies, I would not have had to take detours off the course, would not have been chased by off lead dogs and would not have had to stop three times…..  I am not complaining about any of this, I accept that when I run with dogs I am constrained as well as assisted - it is both challenging, and great fun!  Safety will always be my top priority.

I mentioned tears at the start of this story….

After I had finished the run, a man with an American accent approached me.  His first words to me were “you are an international inspiration”.  As I looked quizzically at him he expanded furthermore on his opening statement.  Visiting family in the area he had been on Greenham Common last weekend and had seen me running past with the huskies.  He had been so inspired by the sight that he had returned today in the hope that we would be there and he could get a photograph to send to his wife.  They live in Hollywood and have two Siberian Huskies.  He has now purchased harnesses for humans and huskies and is going to train them to run with him and his wife, and ski with them in the snow…

And there’s more…

A young boy, having just run parkrun, came over to speak to me.  He wanted to know if I had finished first.  I said no and he looked very disappointed.  I then went onto say that as usual, the huskies finished ahead of me!  He immediately started smiling and said that one day, when he was older he wanted to have a husky. He said that he would love to run as fast as me, but as I had run for Great Britain, he would never be that fast.  I told him that I had been practising for many years and that if he practised lots then he probably would one day be just as fast as me, if not faster.  His beaming smile told me that he understood….

I have a long standing dream to inspire a nation.  I myself was inspired by the Olympic motto to “inspire a generation”…..

Today I realised that I may well be living my own dream.  Warm feeling inside and happy tears free flowing, I made a vow today to do more.....

(image courtesy of tzruns.com