Sunday 14 October 2012

European Cani-cross Championships: Saturday


It was a hard choice deciding which dog I ran with at the European Cani-cross Championships 2012.  In one corner there was Kez, my ultra-running companion that would run across the world with me, but does not “assist” unless I run at 5 minute mile pace….  In the other corner there was Kroi, a youngster that loves to pull, but does not yet know about pacing and very rarely runs on his own.  Kez is scared of other dogs and does not cope well in stressful situations, Kroi is not scared of other dogs and is showing all signs of being a very “chilled” dog.  This was the factor that made the decision for me.  I decided to take a chance and run the baby of the family, our only objective was to enjoy the occasion and finish both races content.

The race on Saturday composed of individual starts and was over a distance of 3.4k.  Kroi stood on the start line full of questions.  Where was Kez, who were all these dogs surrounding him, why did so many dogs growl and him and want to lunge at him…?  His eyes looked bewildered and he kept turning to look at me.  I calmly reassured him and waited for our start time. 

There were 30 seconds gaps between runners, and several very small dogs immediately in front of us.  I knew we would catch up with them relatively quickly and wondered how Kroi would manage the overtaking manoeuvre… 

We started well and headed down the start straight, into the woods, where we were met with very deep and treacherous mud.  Kroi picked the correct line and glanced behind to check that I was following.  We leapt from left to right, avoiding the worst sections.  We run off road every day, we know and understand how you run through mud.  With my trusty Salomon Speedcross on my feet, I knew that I did not have to worry about the land beneath my feet.

As we overtook the first dog, Kroi was a little naughty and tried to “have a wee go”, not aggressively, just a little jump over towards the other dog.  I shouted “No! On by” and off he went, the next dog we overtook he tentatively showed an interest in playing with, but “on by” was all it took to keep him running.  As we overtook one little dog, it darted under my feet and for a split second I feared that I was about to be up ended…..

Situation averted, back to running and we set off down the course…  confusion then arose as the course we recced the day before had suddenly changed… Kroi ducked under the tape and headed left, I stopped and re assessed the situation.  It would appear that we were supposed to go straight on.  I called Kroi to me and headed down the “new” course.  He hesitated but followed my command, just as a gigantic hound and his human runner came flying past.  Kroi picked up the pace and we set off in hot pursuit…….

I watched the dog and runner in front of us, it was obvious that the dog was totally in control.  She followed where he ran, arms flapping to help her balance.  As Kroi and I ran behind, I frequently chose a different route from the hound and his human and each time I did Kroi responded and followed my guidance.   We leapt from puddle to puddle, the other runner slid from side to side and tried desperately to stay upright.

As we approached the finishing straight, Kroi spotted Ian taking photographs and ran towards him, probably expecting to see the rest of the pack….  I tried to encourage him to go past, which he reluctantly finally agreed to do.  As we ran towards the finish, for the first time he ran behind me – confused and unsure of what was happening.  I slowed down and encouraged him towards me.  The dog must cross the line before the human in cani-cross races.  Kroi responded and jogged across the line, just in front of me.  We had just successfully completed our first ever solo race and in a time that put us in the "fast" first wave in Sunday's mass start....

(Photo courtesy of tzruns)