Friday 14 December 2012

Running scared...

This week, for the first time ever I was scared when running with huskies.  Scared because I was not in control and I was attached to 3 huskies with a pulling power of 1,200 pounds, approximately ten times my weight.  (Huskies are easily capable of pulling 6 times their own weight….) Scared because I was running well in excess of 4 minute mile pace and my legs simply could not turn over any quicker!

When I am running without huskies and around other people, I am frequently scared.  Fearful of being rubbish, fearful of other runners cutting me up; fearful of my ever present mind demons haunting me about my lack of ability; fearful of my ankle collapsing; fearful of …… the list goes on….  However, when I am running with huskies I no longer fear those things.  I no longer fear them as I am too busy enjoying all that is around me, not thinking inwardly, but outwardly.  Too busy watching the huskies and learning about them, what motivates them or attracts their attention.  I watch and learn and run.  Simple as that, I don’t doubt or question, just learn to understand….

There are some rules that one is best advised to adhere to when running with huskies.  I forgot those rules and acted in very foolhardy manner.  I learned a very valuable lesson….

Fortunately I did not injure myself badly when the inevitable happened and I hit the floor.  Having very caring and responsive dogs also helped as they stopped immediately and turned towards me, therefore the damage was minimal.

However, what did happen was that the following morning when I went running with the same three huskies I was still very, very scared.  Yes it was dark, -7 and 5am in the morning, but that is normal to me and nothing that normally gives me a moment of concern. 

My heart was racing, tension throughout my body, my voice broken as I tentatively ran along the icy track trying to connect with the dogs.  I could have returned home and dropped off one, perhaps even two of the dogs and run relaxed and in control.  I refused to quit, refused to turn around and go home.  Instead I went looking for answers.  I wanted to understand what went wrong, after nearly twenty years of running with huskies why did I lose control of the team and end up as a crumpled mess on the muddy footpath…..

1.       Kroi (AKA Superbrat) is only 18 months old, I chose to put him at the front of the team, setting the pace, leading the way.
2.       Kroi and Kez have been trained to “floor it” when we are running towards Ian and Krofti.
3.       I was trying out a new running belt.
4.       I chose to wear my purple Salomon Missions instead of my Salomon Speedcross, purely because they would match my new harness and line and Ian had a camera…
5.       Lara was running on the team – Lara and I have only known each other for 7 weeks.
6.       Sometimes spontaneous actions are not the best way.

And so, back to that fateful moment and what happened.  Ian offered to take some photographs of me running with the huskies and I jumped at the chance.  The sun was going down so time was limited…..

A short section of track just up the road from the house was a perfect location.  Practice with each dog, up and down before the main event, giving Ian a chance to set up the camera.  Run out and then back towards the other dogs and Ian as fast as possible.  Kroi, then Kez, then Lara and finally Krofti.  Practice runs all fun and successful, it was time for the main event.

I tried to attach the 3-dog gang-line to my new belt, only to notice that the new belt had brass trigger clips and the double connecting loops of the polypropylene rope were designed for use with carabiners and traditionally used on dog sleds and dry-land rigs.  I improvised without thinking it through properly….
Kez and Lara were “wheel” dogs, attached to the central gang-line via necklines, with Kroi out front on his own.

Kez seemed strangely hesitant as I gave the “let’s go” command, Kroi and Lara surged forward and he reluctantly ran with them.  He soon picked up and as I felt the power surge I asked them to slow down, to allow me to compose myself.  The responded and we comfortably trotted up the track for about ¼ of a mile.  I asked them to stop and turn around, which they did with frightening speed and started to surge forwards.  Normally I would come to a complete standstill to ensure we were all composed and ready to run at speed.  I did not get this chance and I was instantly being pulled forward by three very enthusiastic huskies.  I yelled at them to stay, but we still edged forward rather quickly.  I tried to slow down by digging in my shoes and using my quads as brakes.  The tread on my Missions couldn’t cope with the mud and offered no help at all.  I screamed at Kroi, but he appeared to ignore me and refused to slow down.  Lara was pulling with all her strength and Kez was frantically trying to listen to me and not be pulled along by Kroi and Lara at the same time….

We were getting faster and faster, my “running” was a combination of frantic back pedalling and trying to stay upright at the same time.  I realised quickly that there was no way I could get them to stop and made the decision to “go with them” and hope that I could run at full speed all the way back to Ian and Krofti.  The terrain was very muddy and bumpy and one wrong foot placement would have me instantly hitting the ground.

The speed at my leg turnover was phenomenal, like nothing I have ever known before.  I have run sub 4 minute mile pace when attached to three huskies, this was much quicker than that!  But it was not going to last long….

The gang-line slipped from the clips and moved over to my right side, throwing me off balance just as I hit a really rutted section of track.  Game over, I was down.

The dogs stopped very quickly and came towards me, probably wondering why I was rolling around on the floor and no longer screaming!  I tentatively picked myself up, reassured the dogs and checked for damage.  Nothing broken, but I was going to hurt for a few days….

I tried to readjust the belt and headed back to Ian and Krofti, managing a little jog without incident.

So, even with all those reasons listed as to why the “incident” happened, I still had grave concerns about the fact that Kroi had appeared to completely ignore me.  He has never before done that, so why when I needed him most, did he let me down….

This thought was my biggest worry as I ran the next day in fear.  What if the next time he chose to ignore me was in a dangerous situation, putting me, the dogs and others in danger.  I have always trusted my huskies - that is how we are able to achieve all that we have as a team.  Relationships built on mutual trust and respect. They have never let me down before.  What had I done wrong this time? 


I managed to return home safely on this occasion, but it felt like Kroi was completely disconnected with me, not responding when I asked him to slow down.  I decided that running 3 huskies together was not safe and was not fun.  Time for a different morning regime…

On my evening run I took just Kez and Kroi, and on collar and extending leads.  We ran for many miles without any problems at all.  No pulling and instant responses from both dogs when asked.


So why is it so different when Lara joins in….?  The answer is very simple and it surprised me.  I tested my theory the following morning with resounding success.  I have the solution and can now happily run as far as fast and as far as I like with three huskies without any fear, well perhaps only a little… J

 

















(all photos courtesy of Ian J Berry)