Sunday 16 December 2012

Lara: a gift from the Angels....

Happy Lara, being a Husky...

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die….

I could not get these words and this song from my mind as I drove home today.  Over the months I have created my own version of this very song, applicable to much that has happened this year.

But today as I dreamed and as I remembered, my mind was full of happy and positive thoughts.  I made a promise to a very special boy in April this year, and I have fulfilled that promise through an amazing gift that is Lara.

In less than two months she has transformed from a very scared and nervous dog into a brave and strong little character that loves to have fun and loves to do all that huskies love to do.  She plays, she speaks, she runs, bounces like a kangaroo and does all the cheeky playful things normal puppies do.  But best of all she smiles, each and every day.

Watching her running along Southsea promenade today as part of Portsmouth Santa run I felt overwhelming pride in being a part of the life that Lara now has and will have for the rest of her living days.  We have given her the gift of life.  Everyone that was involved in her rescue, rehabilitation and more has given her something that many will never have.  There are too many huskies in rescue just now and so many that cannot be saved.  A society that breeds and discards dogs, as quickly as you can click your fingers.

Today I am not writing to be sad, quite the opposite in fact - this is a happy day…

All being well with certain protocol involved in adopting huskies, Lara will be adopted by a lovely family that will give her all that she needs in life.  For a short while I will be heartbroken as I will miss her terribly.  I have fallen in love with her - it was part of the deal in being able to help her.  I will never forget her, and she will never forget me, of that I am sure.

Many people assumed that she would stay here forever.  The only way that would ever have happened would have been if she had not recovered from her past life, but she has and now she will sprout wings and fly this temporary nest….

In her new home she will still get stressed, have funny little turns and most likely continue to steal wooden spoons and annoy boy huskies.  She will still try to jump onto the bed and barge into the bathroom and get under your feet when you try to perform household chores…..  But she will thrive on the attention and life that she will lead.  She will not have to compete for human attention with three other huskies and she will no longer need to deal with grumpy me.  At least the boy huskies here have had years to get used to that one!

We have been asked if we will foster more huskies.  The honest answer to that is that I do not know.  There is more to consider than just my selfish need to find something that I will never find.  Whilst it is very rewarding fostering, it is also very stressful and full of risks.  There is Ian to think about as well as the other huskies.  Krofti is getting old and set in his ways, a lot of change and stress confuses him.  Kroi is still very young and needs more from me than I have given him of late.  And Kez gets stressed when dogs are naughty or when he feels that he needs to protect another pack member.

When we originally put our names forward to foster huskies, we had anticipated older dogs that just needed a loving home for a short while.  We had never anticipated fostering dogs with deep seated issues.  That all changed with Kobi.   

As I held Kobi in my arms for the last time I promised him that I would help others like him.  I have done that with Lara, a happy ending and fulfilment of a promise.

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather