Sunday 2 December 2012

Pride comes before a fall

Kez prepares for a downhill gallop..
The best way to de-stress from a very turbulent couple of weeks...? Well go for a very long run with huskies of course!

With temperatures well below freezing, my run with three fit huskies was always going to be an adventure...

As soon as paws touched the frozen grass, we were off running at a frightening pace.  Kroi was obviously trying to make up for missing his speed training session yesterday!

Fortunately most of the first mile is uphill, so I let them run at Kroi's preferred pace as I concentrated on placing my feet on secure ground, confident that my ankle support would protect my recovering ankle.

A couple of miles later, we met a very aggressive dog blocking our path and edging towards us.  I came to a stand still and placed myself between the growling and snarling dog and my huskies as the dog's owner tried desperately to get the dog under control.  The huskies lost interest in the dog as we waited and all started nosing into the undergrowth, backs to the aggressor pretending that it wasn't there.  Good to see that they trust me to fight their battles for them!  When the owner finally had "Demon" under control, we calmly trotted past, the huskies still not reacting to the snarling threats.  I smiled to myself as I watched the huskies relaxed behaviour, proud that they can be so chilled and relaxed, trusting that I will always protect them.  Big mistake....

Pausing for a minute..
The squirrel dashed in front of us while my head was still in the clouds.  It chose to appear right at the top of a steep descent through the woods and as Kroi and Lara lurched forward, I was in serious danger of injury as I had no option other than to go with them and hope that I could negotiate every tree root and loose stone.  Thankfully the squirrel chose the tree option rather than the running in front of huskies option.  I got the dogs back under control a little frustrated with myself for forgetting my "Golden Rule"......  When running with huskies I always need to be one step ahead of them.  A flick of an ear, a glance to the side or a slight increase in tension of the line normally acts as a warning sign.  If I see these signs I know to be wary, slow the dogs down and if necessary tell them to stay.  Their stay response is excellent and once we are stationary and they know I am in control, they do not attempt a "hunt".  Huskies are phenomenal hunters, they are extremely intelligent and they are opportunists.  I am pack leader and they respect this most of the time, which allows me to control them in potentially dangerous situations. However Kroi is a teenager at the moment and as such he is challenging the rules, just like Kez once did and all the other huskies that I have ever lived with.

Chalky and steep descent awaits..
Composure regained, we continued on our way and had a very uneventful few miles with only the occasional surge forward as pheasants, partridge and buzzard flew up from paths in front of us.  The huskies difference in behaviour when they spot a pheasant or partridge is very interesting.  They almost ignore pheasants as when they take off, pheasants immediately gain height.  Partridge on the other hand  fly low to the ground, staying within reach of a hunting husky....  On several occasions, I have had to abruptly lock an extending lead in order to save the life of a partridge.

I have also been amazed with what huskies know about mother birds.  I have seen huskies watch a mother partridge take off pretending to be injured to protect her babies that are in the undergrowth close to where we are running.  On these occasions (it has happened twice) the husky has completely ignored the "injured" bird and gone straight to where she took off from and her babies are silently waiting.  Fortunately I worked out what was happening and was able to protect the babies - and be rewarded by seeing little fluffy partridge chicks.

As we ran I remembered many of the amazing experiences that I have had as reward for early morning runs in the British Countryside.  The first Red Kites released in Hampshire, baby deer, badgers and weasels to name but a few.  One of the most special sights I ever saw was a mother weasel leading her babies across our path.  It was like watching a continuous line of little fluffy caterpillars - a very precious moment.

Pig watching, thinking of bacon.....
Being later in the morning than usual, I met many walkers and their dogs as well as horse riders today.  I was caught day dreaming again when overtaking some of these walkers....  Huskies elegantly trotting past, I failed to see the frozen lump of mud that blocked my path.  As I hit the ground in a very clumsy way, the huskies immediately turned to laugh at me.  The walkers immediately dashed to my aid, but I was up and in denial before they actually reached me.  I ignored the pain and assured them that I was fine as I continued on my run.  As I sit here remembering this moment, I am very much aware of the consequences of hitting the ground at speed.  Nothing too serious, just a few bruises and aches and pains that will ease over the next few days.

Watching horses
I did however learn this time and stayed focussed for the rest of the run, which included herds of sheep, black cats crossing our path, free range pigs and horses...


Safely home, I have three happy huskies.  No make that four happy huskies as Ian took Krofti for a lovely long walk where he met a little lady dog to play with.  As the huskies sleep, I contemplate a wee drink of mulled wine and remember the important things in life....