Thursday 14 June 2012

Day 4: Special parkrun day


A chance to run two parkruns in a day, Ian jumped at the opportunity and so the plan was set. Andover parkrun at 9:00, Newbury parkrun at 10:30. I was only going to run at Newbury as I wanted for the two brothers to have a good run out.

A new course record was achieved at Andover parkrun, first and second males racing all the way, a local runner versus a parkrun "tourist". The tourist won in a fabulous time of 16:11.

I felt that the tourist must be someone special, to see him run in they way that he did...  I introduced myself to him, to discover that his name was Richard Ward, winner of more parkruns than any other person. It was a bit like meeting a member of parkrun royalty, or so I thought......

The tourist was also planning on running at Newbury. The prospect of a fast run and the opportunity to have some other runners for the “boys” and I to run alongside had me a teensy bit excited.

Arriving at Newbury, Jon Errington offered to run with Krofti, which we thought a fabulous idea. So after a little practise session and learning the control commands, we all headed off to the start.

I had chosen to wear my GBR vest in tribute to Her Majesty and the Diamond Jubilee, I have never previously worn it in a parkrun event, and wanted to wear it with pride, run as if I was running for my country....

There was a little false start (over enthusiastic runners or people determined to beat the huskies...?), but once Kroi woke up we hit the front and headed off down the track. Hardly any commands need to be given to the boys as they both know the course, I only had to provide a little bit of encouragement to run wide of the loose dogs that were on the course. The first mile was very quick, clocking 4:36 on my Garmin, I fully expected the dogs (and I) to blow up and end up running the last mile very slowly, to be overtaken by at least two of the runners.

As we approached the halfway section, a herd of ponies, spooked by the runners came galloping towards us, Kez instantly alerted to potential “fun”. However, the cows blocking the course route definitely had Kroi's attention.... Slowing to an almost standstill, I was able to guide both of them safely between the fast approaching horses and the cows blocking the path. With the safety of all livestock ensured, we picked up the pace again, but both dogs were now jogging, initial enthusiasm waning. I let them jog for a short while, allowing me to recover a little from the very fast first half.

I fully expected to be overtaken at this point, but no runner came past and I made the decision to ask the dogs to pick up and run to the finish as quickly as I was capable of running...

They responded instantly, picked up the pace and we galloped to the finish in our best ever 5k time of 16:14. So proud of my boys, I waited at the finish for the first place male to finish and shake his hand. It was the winning tourist from Andover that finished just behind me, and sadly he refused to shake my hand. He made very negative comments directed at the huskies and appeared to be in a bit of a strop. I thought it would pass and walked after him to speak with him.

I never did get to speak to him and later learned that he was very rude to the volunteers and used very bad and abusive language in the presence of young children, so I guess he was in more of a strop than I realised.

This has upset me greatly as I know that he was upset as a direct result of something that I did. He was not happy about being beaten by someone running with dogs. parkrun is not a race, it is an all inclusive time trial event that anyone can run in. Dogs are welcome, as are families with buggies. We (the dogs and I) have run nearly 80 parkruns together and I know that we have brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people. But recently we have upset several people, when we finish in front of them, or achieved times that are classified as “course records”.

I know that it is not my fault, but I feel very responsible for what happened at Newbury parkrun on 5th June. I do not ever want this to happen again, therefore I have seriously considered never running another parkrun again. I say this as I know that the boys and I are capable of even faster times and the faster we get, the more attention we attract. The vast majority of people are overwhelmingly supportive of what we do, unfortunately there are small number of people that will never accept it.

I hope that parkrun one day change the way that results are recorded, making it clear when people's times are “dog assisted”. I have asked parkrun organisers if there is a way for my results to be clearly identified as “assisted”, but unfortunately it cannot be done without considerable time and effort on their behalf. I will not change my club to “CaniX” or “Canicross” as my first claim club is, and always will be Winchester & District Athletics Club.

I have also asked Power of 10 to remove my parkrun results from my profile as I do not believe they should be listed amongst my “non assisted” race results.

In an ideal world, I find some fast runners to run with to really test the Huskies Running team, parkrun make it clear when people are “dog assisted” and then we can achieve a guilt free time that really will be exceptional......

Returning to Newbury.... brilliant to see Jon and Krofti finishing with such big smiles!  And to see Ian collect a double parkrun.... Plus catching up with all our friends and eating cake afterwards was very special indeed :-)
Anyway, we finished off an eventful day with a lovely meal in the company of Rachael and Mark, founding Race Directors of Newbury parkrun.

(photo courtesy of Paul Hammond)