Tuesday 12 June 2012

Day 1: Saturday


Day 1: Saturday Morning
A return to Basingstoke parkrun after a very long absence. A chance to see old friends and make some new ones and to run on the Crabtree course.....
Ian ran with Krofti, I ran with the two brothers. It was Kroi's first proper run at Basingstoke, our previous visits having been when he was too little to run more that a jog....

Our first lap went very well and we flew round without any problems, staying clear of all runners and loose dog obstacles. Stopping for a drink at half way, we struggled to get back into any rhythm on the second lap, but we still had fun running round to the finish. I do like the Crabtree course as the option of grass all the way suits the huskies better that trail, tarmac mix found on many courses.

Ian also had a very good run with Krofti, big smiles were had by all. Krofti liking a new course and then all the extra special attention that he received after his run!

We also got to meet one of the Race Directors, Bob Fudge from Frimley Lodge, who happens to be married to Paula Fudge and both were visiting Basingstoke for the parkrun. It was very special finally meeting Paula, someone that I have admired for a very long time. It was also very interesting hearing her speak of the marathon training that she used to do each week, and how it compares to the marathon training of elite runners in 2012.

Day 1: Saturday Evening
Egdon Easy 10k. We decided to participate in this race in Weymouth as it is very close to the village where Kez and I will carry the Olympic Torch in July. This race provided the perfect opportunity to visit the area and have a run with the locals and catch up with some friends from work. Special permission was acquired beforehand to run the race with Kez.

Our pre race fears of the weather being too hot for a husky were soon laid to rest. Heavy rain and winds ensured that there would be no over heating, and also reminded us of how one should pack for a run in the UK. Fortunately I did have a pair of arm warmers, but no waterproof jacket was a slightly embarrassing omission from the kit bag. Ever the optimist, the sunglasses remained on my head....

Plan was to run the race comfortably, using it as a bonding session for Kez and I – poor boy has been “out of sorts” recently with the loss of Kade and all the stress that the pack has endured in the past few months.

Plan was achieved, we had a really fun run, Kez remaining in front of me at all times, but not assisting (apart from the first and last 200 metres of the run, when I asked him to pick up the pace). He really is an amazing dog and completely in tune with what I need from him. He sets the pace by running in front of me, allowing me to concentrate on following him and not getting distracted by the other runners being so close to me (I am a very claustrophobic runner). He never impedes another runner, and will go out of his away to avoid being too close to another person. He will also immediately run by my side if I ask him too.

Unfortunately...... I finished as first female, which caused a “situation”.

I personally always respect and accept the decision of a Race Director as to whether they offer me a prize or not when I am running with a dog. The Race Director, other officials and second placed lady all wanted me to take the first prize trophy. However one man (whom I beat...) was in a little bit of a strop about me running with a dog, therefore as a result I declined the prize. Sadly this upset the second placed lady and also a family that had waited until the end solely to see Kez and I be awarded the prize. This family had watched the race from various vantage points and loved the fact that Kez was jogging along having such a fabulous time with me.

It was very interesting hearing people discuss me (when they did not realise the “dog runner” was standing beside them) most were “for” with only one “against”. Very interesting perspectives and I was so tempted to tell (the man that I beat) exactly what time I would have run had I actually been assisted by Kez!

(Fabulous photography courtesy of Katie Jarzyna)