Sunday 13 November 2011

Tribute to the original king of canicross....


I first met Kade the day he entered this world. Months of planning and preparation, he was the first born son of Kai. Nearly 13 years later, and after a lifetime of amazing experiences, I know that our time together is almost at its end.

I want to speak of him, and his life, whilst I can still touch him and cuddle him, a constant reminder of the amazing dog that he is.

I thought he was leaving me this morning, but he is still here and I am more than happy for him to break the rules and sleep on our bed as I reminisce...

I remember exactly where I was when I received the telephone call announcing his arrival. A little black and white puppy, destined to share our lives. Named after his father, “Wildenfree Blues KaisKade” he arrived on 30th January 1999.

When he was of age to leave his mum, Kai took on his paternal role and protected his little boy throughout their lives together. If Kade cried or was upset, Kai was instantly by his side, reassuring him. The bond between them was amazing and when it was cruelly broken in 2009, Kade mourned his loss as much as me. It was heart wrenching to hear his mournful howls in the early morning. We cried together and did our best to continue in a life with a huge void.

Kade has always been a very particular dog, with quirky little habbits. Selecting toys and placing them into different little piles, removing food from his bowl and rearranging it on the floor to then choose what he wanted to eat first. One time he carefully selected all the biscuits in his bowl, eating around the chunks of cheese that I had placed there. Thinking that he did not like the cheese, I removed it and gave it to Kai, much to Kade's surprise – I later discovered that this little dog actually preferred to save his favourite foods until last!

Kade as a youngster was a never ending ball of energy. The dog that never slept, he was always doing something. A very active mind and body, he was easily the most intelligent of all the huskies I have shared my life with. I would test him with little problems and be amazed to see him actually thinking out a solution. He was also a phenomenal hunter and Hampshire's mouse and rat population was controlled in a ruthless manner....

Growing up around horses, he had full respect for them. I would take Kai with me when out hacking and Kade would wait behind at the stables, playing with the little Falabella Stallion. He would also play with Friday my Welsh x Arab. He would chase Friday and then Friday would turn round and chase him – it was fabulous to watch their high speed chases! When Friday passed onto the next world, he took on the role of playmate for Brego, the baby Spanish Purebred, although Brego was not quite as keen to share his sugarbeet!

In my days of Husky racing (on wheeled rigs) he excelled himself, when at only nine months of age, he led a three dog team round his first ever “R” class at an ABSA event. He continued this when he was old enough to compete in the proper racing classes. We were never super fast as a sled dog team, but we did sneak a few wins on technical courses!

With Kade at the front of the team, I would confidently hitch up six huskies to the front of my mountain bike, knowing that I could trust him 100%.

He has taught all the other huskies how to lead from the front. When to take turns, speed up, overtake and ignore distractions. Numerous dogs have been hitched up to Kade on rig, bike and human – each time Kade showing the other dog what is required.

When the UK discovered the sport of Canicross, Kade and I were already prepared. Having run thousands of miles together, we took to racing like a duck takes to water.

We ran most Canix races in the early days, Kade earning a reputation which many original UK canicrossers still remember to this day...

He also managed a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to Belgium for the 2010 European Canicross Championships. Running with Ian, he led the way round the course, smiles upon both their faces. Ian perhaps having to work a little harder as Kade was determined to enjoy rather than race!

We started running parkruns to help Kez and I – both of us become anxious running around other dogs and people. Kade would help guide us round parkruns, controlling the puppy enthusiasm of Kez and ensuring we got the most from our speed training sessions!

Kade no longer cares for the speed session element of running, and prefers to trot around with children – both husky and child with big beaming smiles upon their faces.

He also helped Kobi (our rescue puppy) during his early days of parkrunning. Guided him round people, helped teach him that not all humans are bad and that it can be fun running with them. Kobi took it a little further and now believes that he has to beat all humans when racing them!

Kez, Kobi and I would never have been so successful had it not been for Kade. He helped me become an international athlete, triumphing against the odds. It almost seems fitting that he will probably leave me in the year that I retire. He has done his job very well and I am so proud of him.

His body is now struggling, but his desire to run remains. He jogs for a little bit and then stops, then suddenly he will dash forward as if remembering what he used to do – he becomes a puppy again and for a few seconds I can smile and dream that we are not where we are.

It was not only in the world of running that Kade excelled. In a past life we used to show very successfully. He won numerous awards including two Challenge Certificates, Reserve Best in Show and well as Best Puppy in Show at many open events. A part of me wishes that I had continued the quest for the third CC, but in my heart he will always be a Champion and that is what really matters.

Whatever happens between now and October 2012, Kade will be with me when I run in the European Canicross Championships. His physical strength will not be helping guide me round the course, but his legacy will be and his spirit will be with me all the way round. If I achieve the dream, I will have achieved it through him.

And when I hang up my racing trainers for good next year, I will hang Kade's collar beside them.