Friday 1 March 2013

The boy husky forever in my heart....


Dear Kobi,


This will be the last time that I ever write to you.  I will continue to remember you forever and a day, you live in my heart and that will never change.

So much has happened in this past year.  Every day I have thought of you and every day I have wondered “what if”…. But I know in my heart of hearts that the answer will always be the same.

My last words to you were “go find him” and I choose to believe that you did.  Somehow you found him and now you watch us from above, forever watch us from above.

I will never forget the day we said goodbye.  You somehow knew what was happening and what it meant.  You never questioned as I led you into the car.  For the first time ever you walked in without hesitation.  And as you fell asleep in my arms, you never resisted and never questioned.  You just knew that it was okay because you trusted me.

Loving life!!
Others have judged and others have their opinion.  We know the facts and we made the decision that was best for you.  The most painful decision ever made, but the one that we had to make. Any other decision would have resulted in eternal turmoil and potential pain beyond comprehension.

As I write the tears are rolling down my face, I remember so much and wish so much that it could have been different.  You continue to come to me in my dreams, for that I am eternally grateful.  He brings you to me, my forever protector even in death he continues to help me.

But, I do not want to write to you in a negative mind, so much positive has come out of the past year and it is that I want to share with you.

Do you remember the promise that I made to you?  Well I did it, we saved another and she is now about to begin her new life…..

Her name is Lara and she is another like you, but with a difference….. A little Lady Husky she is, and a little character she most definitely is…. We have worked hard following all that you taught us and as a result we have helped her more than I thought possible.
Creating your own magic
She left us today, to go and live with her new family.  We nearly did not let her go, wanted to keep her here and cuddle her forever…. But then I thought of you and the promise that I made to you. 

She has gone and I return to having only one shadow.  I will miss her terribly as will Ian and all the boy huskies.  It hurts Kobi, just like it hurt when we said goodbye to you.

As this special little Princess leaves us, a baby boy joins us for a few sleepovers before moving onwards to be with his forever family.  He is a little husky puppy and sad circumstances allowed me to enter his life.  I was driven to help him by thoughts of you.  But I hesitated in my actions, thinking I could make good out of his sad situation.  I nearly failed in my quest to help him.  Kez was the one that comforted me as I wept by the roadside thinking I was too late… 

But my belief was indeed true and "good" triumphed over "bad".  For a short while this little baby will be welcomed into our home and nurtured by the “K” Pack.  He now has a bright smiling future ahead of him, thanks to you.
Biggest tongue competition...

Krofti, Kez and Kroi send you their love.  They have forgotten the stuff that I also choose to forget.  Their little scars are reminders of our life together, nothing more and nothing less.

Kade left us shortly after you did, but I believe you know that already.  The One I sent you to find was his father and my forever protector.

So where ever you are, I just wanted to say that I think of you every day and I thank you for all that you gave and continue to give.  I wish it could have ended differently, but I accept that for so many reasons, it had to end as it did.

For one year I have slept above all that remains of your precious husky form. I have in that time fulfilled my promise to you and saved another.

Do you remember that you and I were to carry the Olympic Flame together?  I have never forgotten.  Kobi, my little Olympic Spirit you will rest forever in the very place where I carried the Olympic Flame in your memory.

And in a strange twist of fate… do you remember when I used to hold you and dream of finding your mum?  Well, I may have found her now.  If it is her, she is well and she is safe.  She endured a lot of suffering but others stepped in and helped save her and now she needs worry no more.  I will never be able to prove that she gave birth to you, but I choose to believe that this is your birth mum.  I have seen a photo of her and she reminds me so much of you….

The overall female course record (with huskies...)
And do you remember how you taught me to run very quickly?  You, me and the two brothers?  Well we continued running quickly in your memory and were rewarded by achieving the overall female course record at parkrun.  It has since been deleted from official records, but we do have the memories, plus a little keepsake...

The sub 4 minute mile moves ever closer, another dream for us to chase....
Taking a bow after our 12 hour run

My forever protector, his son (Kade) and grandson (Krofti)
I will continue to dream of “Kobi’s Legacy”, where together you, Ian and the “K” Pack help huskies and children alike.  Help them learn to love life through running and all that it brings.  We have made progress, but asking people for money is the hardest part and I haven’t quite mastered that art.  Until then we will continue to give as we can.

My Dear Kobi, I bid you farewell.
I love you, forever and a day.

Sandra xx

(Photos courtesy of Ian J Berry & Linda Green)