Sunday 28 July 2013

Smile - you never know what may happen next.....

Today as I walked down a path I have walked many times before, I did something different.  I smiled at the homeless man with his dog.  I smiled and he smiled back….

I have seen him many times over the years and always chosen to avoid eye contact or his requests for money.  Walked on by, not giving him a second thought.

Today I could not forget this man and his dog.  I do not know their story or why they sit by the riverside begging for money.  I wondered if he has friends or family, somewhere to lay his head at night.  Does he have a happy past, previously lived in a house with food and warmth, with a radio and a television?
Does he want me to give him money so that he can buy alcohol or drugs?  Will he use the begging money to feed him and his dog?  Or is he saving up to buy a new guitar…..
He does not look a sad man, but why does he choose to sit by the riverside each and every day, strumming notes from his little guitar?
Today I was on my way to Fat Face to buy a replacement bracelet for my favourite one that broke yesterday and is beyond repair.  It has pretty little flowers on it and was the one “girly” thing I wear most days.

I could not get the old man out of my mind and I wanted to do something that I believed would help him.  Instead of going to Fat Face, I headed towards the nearest supermarket with a plan.

I was going to buy him and his dog food to the value of the bracelet I has planned on replacing.  As I wandered around the shop I felt a mixture of emotion.  I was excited about what I could buy him and also worried that he might not like what I chose, or may have an allergy or intolerance.  I opted for some straightforward items that would not perish within a few hours.  I got some dog food as well, hoping that his dog did not have the stomach of a Siberian Husky….

I felt close to tears as I paid for the items, not because they exceeded my original budget, but tears of happiness that I truly believed I was doing something good for another person.
I dashed out the shop, suddenly fearful that he may have wondered away from his usual spot.  Sprinting down the town path I slowed as I recognised his shape on the side.
He smiled again as I placed the bag of shopping beside him.  As I reached over to stroke his dog, both man and dog looked at me for a split second and then moved away from me to look inside the bag.
 
As I walked away I wiped the tears from my eyes believing that I had made a difference.  I had taken time from my busy life to connect with another human being and try to help in a very small way.

If there is a moral to this story it is a simple one.  Sharing a smile can make a difference.  It can lead to so much more.  It opens the connection to another being, whether a human being or an animal.

Yesterday I smiled at the donkey in the picture and said hello - he responded by coming over and giving me a "kiss".

You should see what happens when I smile at huskies….. ;-)