Monday 8 July 2013

IAU Trail World Championships 2013

Team GBR
In 2011 I fell on a mountain during a race and broke my elbow.  I did not finish that race, but I made a promise to myself as I wept on the side of a mountain.  Two years later I fulfilled that promise to myself…..

Back in 2011, thanks to the awesome Richard Donovan I had the wonderful experience of participating in the IAU Trail World Championships as an open entry, i.e. I was not officially representing Great Britain but was allowed to run on the same course and at the same time as the World’s best ultra trail runners.  I fell, broke my elbow and although I tried, was unable to finish the race.  I remember very well the moment that I quit the race – I was clinging to the side of Mount Benbaun absolutely petrified, unable to use my left arm to negotiate the steep climb.  I somehow managed to reach the summit and safety, but pulled out of the race at the next checkpoint.

My awesome running buddies
To compensate for all the negativity that flowed through my mind for quitting I made the promise to myself that in two years’ time, at the next IAU Trail World Championships I would return, but this time wearing a GBR vest.  On that very same day in 2011 I also decided the same of a very special little puppy… Only 6 weeks old and yet to live with us at that time, Kroi was gifted his name.  “Croi” [kree] in Ireland = “heart”.  Croi became Kroi because all my training partners must have a name that begins with the letter “K”…  Thanks to Kroi and his big brother Kez I found myself in 2013 about to fulfil the promise and “live the dream”.  In two years I have run thousands of miles with them, run for hours upon hours, sometimes at speeds that defy belief.  We run because we love to run, it is that simple and by doing what we love to do, I found myself standing on Llanrwst Bridge with the absolute honour of wearing a GBR vest surrounded by an awesome team of British ultra runners….

I nearly gave up on this promise - when my whole “life and work” balance spiralled out of control.  Thanks to Ian, Nick, the huskies and a few others, including a brillian new job, the dream was achieved along the West Highland Way in April this year – the Highland Fling 2013 gave it to me, without me really asking….

Team GBR on the way to the start
Anyway, moving forward to the present day, I find myself standing on the start line of the 2013 IAU Trail World Championships, this time wearing a GBR vest.  My elbow still aches, not helped by a heavy fall upon it a few weeks ago – it is a reminder of an experience that I will never forget and of a promise that I will now fulfill…

I know that I will not be at the front, or even the middle of today’s race, but I do know that no matter what happens in the next 8 hours or so, I will finish this race today – even if I have to crawl across the finish line.  To wear the vest of one’s nation means to run with pride and with strength, to finish no matter what it takes.  Honour and valour…..

World Champion Ricky leads the way...
The first hill heading into Gwydyr forest was on tarmac, oh yeah the dreaded solid stuff.  I had chosen to wear a new pair of shoes for today’s race – SCOTT Kinabalus.  My beloved Salomon’s were waiting for me on one of the feeding stations, just in case I needed them.  I would have loved to run the full race in my Salomon’s but recent ankle and toe problems ruled them out and a recent introduction to the Kinabalus had me hopeful that pain would not disrupt my run.  With one week of partnership and less than 20 miles of running together, it was a lot to ask of the Kinabalus.

Practising the descent, the day before....
As we headed into the forest and the first ascent, I remembered why I run.  The amazing feeling of powering one’s self for hours, knowing that the end is infinite….  One day I may reach my limit, but until then I do not know where it lies.  Hours of running, eating and exploring lay ahead of me.  Yes I would also find pain, but hey ho I have become a master in pain management, I know how to deal with it!

At the front end of the race there were some awesome performances.  I wish I could write about them all, but I cannot and only a fool would try.  I never saw the winning lady on the trail, but I did see the winning male and a few of his followers.  Ricky Lightfoot glided past me by the side of the lake.  He floated over the rocks and tree roots, a man on a mission and a man so worthy of the title of “World Champion”.  With Salomon on his feet and in his heart I felt so proud to be a part of his experience as he coasted to victory.  I remember my prediction before the start of the race…. I guess I do get it right sometimes Ian… ;-)

It was hot, but it was fun
Anyway, back to my race…. I had chosen to wear a Nathan Vaporshape for the event, to ensure that I always had my CLIF Shot and Bars with me.  It was a strategy that worked well for me as I wasted little time at the feed stations and spent nearly 8 hours being hugged by my backpack.

As I jumped over rocks, negotiated tree roots and cursed the gravel trails I was happy with all the decisions that I made pre-race.  My feet felt good in the SCOTT Kinabalus and my trusty Zensah Compression socks and I had all my nutrition by my side, well strictly speaking by my side and upon my back!

The course was awesome, a well-chosen variety to keep us runners on our toes – quite literally for the fast ones amongst us!  From tree roots on steep ascents to rocks on narrow paths where the long grass tried to mask the obstacles, it was a very well chosen and fun course.  There was even a little patch of mud and a little stream to run down.

No bogs and no scree and no broken elbows, just fun.  But then again there was never the view that the summit of Mount Benbaun provided, oh well I guess one race cannot provide everything….

Having fun doing what I love...
Ricky won the race and Nathalie won the ladies race.  Awesome and awe inspiring performances from both athletes.  Ricky and his GBR team mates helped secure team gold for GBR, Nathalie secured gold individually and for her French team mates.

In the ladies team event brilliant performances from Jo Zakrzewski (hot on the heels of her amazing Comrades performance), Fionna Cameron (WOW! What an amazing GBR debut – star of now and the future for sure) and Tracy Dean (another awesome performance on her GBR debut) secured bronze for Team GBR.  Izzy Wykes showed amazing strength of character when an inappropriately placed quad bike obscured a marker on the trail and sent her off course.  Izzy soon bounced back and obliterated the common myth that females don’t have a good sense of direction when she found the trail again and flew onwards to the finish!

Me?  I loved my run.  I got to eat croissants, maple pancakes and CLIF bars for nearly 8 hours whilst enjoying the fabulous scenery that Wales provides.  I had fun, I smiled a lot and I ran the dream.  The huskies watched as I ran, Ian and Amanda looking after them for me.  Not sure if I have mentioned Amanda before?  The most awesome person and best neighbour one could ever dream of having.  Just don’t ask her for an opinion of travelling by train from South of England to North Wales…..

My ankle allowed me to remember how to manage a familiar pain and my shorts gave me an experience that I have never had before – how can one pair of shorts create gouges that look like you have been attacked by a tiger’s claws??!!

Kez assessing my new "K" training partner - Kinabalus
And how did the Scott Kinabalus perform?  Brilliantly.  Very responsive on the technical sections of the course they also provided ample cushioning on the hard packed gravel sections.  There was not much mud on the course, but the little sections that we did encounter was no problem and the grip was good.  I think I may well have found another awesome training partner.  Do you think it is mere coincidence that their name begins with the letter "K"....

Before I go I have one last person that deserves more than just a mention.  Without Ian’s support I would not have been on the start line.  I would not have had the honour of representing Great Britain and Northern Ireland for the second time in a lifetime.  I would not have fulfilled my promise and lived the dream.

(Photos courtesy of tzruns)