Monday 24 October 2011

Why I will never beat him....


Greensand Marathon. I had been forewarned that it was a very tough marathon. “One to avoid” the fast marathon people that I know had advised.....

Challenging appeals to me, tough I like, hills I like, and off road I love. Throw in the opportunity to run with my little training buddy Kez and it is a win, win situation.

Rob the race director had very kindly given me special permission to run with Kez, based upon his reputation and the offer of references from Race directors that have been impressed with his behaviour in their races. Kez was the doggy ambassador for the day. A position that ultimately he excelled in and even earned a few more admirers along the way...

It is always a privilege to run amongst human runners with a dog, in a “human race”. I have been doing this for all of my running career and it never ceases to amaze me how respectful most runners are of my doggy athletes. The dogs in return respect every human runner and will go completely out of their way to ensure that they do not make contact with any runner – to the point of dragging me into hedges if required!

Greensand Marathon is indeed a very tough marathon, but at this moment in time, it goes down in history as my most favourite (out of about 60 ish). The most physically demanding marathon I have run, but definitely the most emotionally rewarding.

The course is near perfect. Lots of hills, some that seem to go on forever, amazing views and challenging underfoot conditions. Spraining my ankle in the days leading up to the race ensured that I knew all about the ground conditions!

The race started with a rendition of Jerusalem, sung with great gusto from most runners – I must confess to miming as my voice should never be heard above a whisper....

Singing over, the race began with a nice hill climb into the woods, lots of huffing and puffing and several minutes later I realised that I would be struggling physically for most of the 26.2 miles. In true Pooh Bear style, I “ran out of run” after only one mile! There was still another 12.1 miles out and then 13.1 back again (on the same course) to go. Oops!

Being an experienced ultra runner, I know it is not really a problem if I am tired and still have 25 miles to go. Jelly babies, friendly runners and marshals, beautiful scenery and some inspirational thoughts will provide the energy needed to ensure that I get to the finish. Plus the fact that I am running beside the most natural athlete that I know. Kez never complains, and never asks for more than just kind words and water during a marathon. He will sometimes eat a little flapjack, piece of Freddo or the head of a jelly baby, but most times he just looks at me as if to say “why have we stopped”.

I also know that Kez will only “assist” me if I make the effort to run myself. He is a dog with a phenomenal working attitude – but he does expect me to play my part in the team. His comfortable pace is under 7 minute miling, which no way was I going to achieve on such a tough course. I resorted to very slow jogging, which ensured that he did not get too hot as the weather was surprisingly warm. He always stays in front of me, just doesn't offer me a “helping hand” up the hills. Although he did offer some assistance on some dodgy down hill sections – I think that was his sense of humour kicking in.

The only time Kez does not run in front of me is on very steep and dangerous mountain courses and when he is not happy. If he does this (when not running down a mountain), then I stop and find out why he is unhappy – this is why I will never beat him because he will always finish in front of me doing the job that his husky mind is programmed to do.

Kez did do something phenomenal during the race that I have yet to fully comprehend. He tried to go down a track that was quite obviously not part of the course. This is something he has never done before. He will always look at ever turn off from a main track as we run, but never actually try to follow it unless I give him the command to do so. He did the same thing on the return journey, at the same, precise point......

(Later that evening, Ian compared the trace from my Garmin with the trace of his Garmin from an LDWA event that we ran together (with Kez) earlier in the year. The routes crossed at one point only – that point was precisely where Kez questioned my judgement on the trail we were running on. Somehow he knew.....??)

The race was an absolute awesome experience. From start to finish I was astounded by the level of support provided to both Kez and I. Runners overtook us and spoke to Kez, as did runners that we overtook. Even the leading runners heading back towards us on the out and back course took time out from their race to shout words of encouragement to Kez.

All the marshals were super friendly – I thank you all for your time and words! Very frequent water stations ensured that I got to stop and talk to a great number of people. Next time I must remember that it is not necessary to carry three litres of liquid on a well supported route – good training I guess, but my shoulders really hurt today.

Kez was presented with his very own medal at the finish. A perfect award for a little champion dog. I was delighted with my t-shirt and running cap. There were even carrots and jaffa cakes as a finishing treat, plus a fry up breakfast - thank you to the kind lady who went into the canteen for husky sausages – Kez enjoyed them very much.

I hope we can return next year, and hopefully the temperature will be better for a husky with a thick fur coat.

Thank you Rob and Trionium – you made a husky and a human runner very happy.