Friday 12 August 2011

Magic Miles in so many ways...

Speak of "Magic Miles" and I immediately think back to the days of Coe, Ovett and Cram. Hours of watching their races over 800m, 1500m & 1609m. Feeling inspired to run and dreaming of one day running for Team GBR....

Recently I have been looking for an opportunity to run a one mile race with Kobi our little rescue dog. A chance to see what he can do over the one mile distance (the little guy had a tendency to "blow up" in 5k races, but very fast for the first 1.5 miles). So when Martin Yelling and Tom Williams from Marathontalk.com came up with the briliant idea of a global Magic Mile challenge, I hoped this could be the perfect opportunity for us..

Poole Parkrun very kindly agreed to let us run in their staged event in Poole Park. Having previously run 49 Parkruns with Huskies, the dogs' behaviour has been complimented on numerous occasions and their reputation appears to be spreading.... Being a non dog runner myself sometimes, I know only too well the safety issues that need to be considered when running at high speeds around people and it is always my first concern, even if it means I have to stop or to run very wide, I will not put others in danger.

My original intention had been to run Kobi on his own, but after a pre race trial with him running solo I soon realised that he still has some major confidence issues that we need to work through before we take the next step.

For those of you that do not know Kobi's story, he was rescued last year very close to death and his future looked very bleak. Petrified of humans, his little mind and body had never known nourishing food or love. He was too weak for the vet to vaccinate him as the live vaccine could have killed him. I connected with him the first time I met him and knew I had to give him a chance of life and to be happy. I even allowed myself a very far fetched dream of one day turning him into a European Canix Champion...

Therefore Kez was drafted in to the race to give Kobi some canine support, and also to ensure perfect steering!!

Our pre race preparation did not go very well thanks to scarey men (Kobi's opinion), squirrels, loose dogs and a general "cannot be bothered" attitude from the dogs. I quickly reassessed my objective of trying to run 5 minutes, to just getting round the course with both dogs in front of me and no "incidents". The other extra exciting aspect of the race was that Liz Yelling (yes THE Liz Yelling of Olympic Marathon fame) and her husband Martin were both running in the sub 7 minute race!!

I started at the back, and very wide of all the other runners and with Ian's help we clipped on the neckline and held them for a few seconds to allow all the runners to get started. And then we were off...

Immediately both dogs went into work mode, full flight and chasing after the other runners. I kept them very wide for the first 3/4 lap to ensure all the runners had settled and it was safe to move over without infringement of anyone. I settled just behind the lead runners and felt completely in awe of what I was doing. Running this close to an Olympic athlete and watching the dogs running so freely and so happily and in full control I am glad that I was wearing sunglasses as I cannot be sure if the tears were due to the wind or the emotion.

The event organisers had very kindly set a course for dogs on the grass on the inside of the race circuit, but the dogs chose to run mostly on the tarmac - with the exception of the grass section on the far outside where we nearly had to hurdle the bench when Kez responded too quickly to me turn right "Gee" command (thanks Kez, we'll try steeplechase next time...)

My fears that the dogs would object to running three laps were soon overthrown as we flew round without breaking stride at the start/ finish point. On the last lap the fourth placed runner came up on the inside and I asked the dogs to go wide again to ensure he had full freedom to choose his route, they responded inmmediately but as we moved back to the inside I felt Kobi falter and slow down, was he going to blow up with only 300 metres to go...

Kobi moved onto the grass, and just as I started to fear that he had "run out of run", Kez decided that it was time for him to take control. Until this point Kobi had been setting the pace, Kez had done all the steering without much gusto, and to be fair I cannot blame him. He is an ultra runner, used to pacing himself for a very long run, not sprinting the entire distance. And he did not know how far or long he would be running this evening.

We soon started pulling back the distance we had lost to the runner in front of us and were gaining speed as we ran towards the finish. When a human is assisted by two racing huskies, the advantage in a sprint finish is phenomenal and I quickly had to make a decision as to whether I went for it or not. The risks were too great, visions of fast dogs, tangled lines and injured runners sprung to mind and I didn't ask for that final assistance. We stopped just short of the finish chute to ensure that Kobi didn't suddently bolt off to one side to avoid the people standing at the side.

Wow, I have never felt such immense pride in the team work that the boys and I showed during that run. Completely in control and all of us having such fun, doing what we love doing - running as a team. Running alongside athletes of such calibre and participating in such a fabulous fun challenge. And my ankle did not collapse or even seriously object to what was asked of it!

Our time was 5:02 and I know that with a little help and effort we can go faster.

Tomorrow I return to the 50 mile runs, but not before fueling the fire of the dream for little Kobi...

P.S. As the question will be asked... I have run 5:48 in a training run on an undulating course, without dogs.