Saturday 14 June 2014

The trouble with Spike and I....

Running with the team
I love to run and Spike loves to run and if life was straightforward then this would never be a problem and we would run together forever….

Sadly life is not that straightforward and as a result of certain events in our past lives, both of us have some chronic issues that cause us significant pain and psychological problems on a daily basis.  But please do read on because this is a happy story….
In the early days of life with us

However, before we start all the happy stuff, I would like to make a confession.  I have not always been Spike’s biggest fan and have found him a very difficult dog to work with.  When we agreed to adopt him I made a commitment that I am determined to fulfil.  Life with Spike is fun but it is also very stressful.  He has psychological issues that I struggle to manage as I don’t understand them.  I don’t know what drives him and it is very hard to know if the decision that I make for him is the best one.  With every other dog that I have lived with I have never had to make such decisions, they make them for me and I just do as they ask.  When we are out running and they suddenly run by my side or turn their head to me I know they are not happy and I do what must be done.  I don’t have this relationship with Spike and have to guess when enough is enough.  When we run together he sets the pace I just follow along…  I don’t understand why he chases his tail and attacks sweeping brushes.  I don’t know why he shouts and screeches so much or why he loves strangers so much, but perhaps the reality is that I don’t need to understand, I just need to accept that he does.
Our first official sub 5 minute mile in Poole

It is no secret that I have had a dream to run a Sub 4 minute mile for a very long time.  Siberian Husky assisted mile I must add as the current word record for a female to run a mile is 4 minutes and 12 seconds! 

I would love to run 3:59 with Spike for a great number of reasons, but I genuinely do not know if he is capable of sustaining that speed for a full mile and recently I completely gave up on the dream where he was part of the team.  Although I had been training with him, I decided to drop him from the team and concentrate on running with the two brother huskies instead.  The result was that I got faster and the bond between the two brother huskies and I deepened.  When running at the speeds we have been training at the relationship between human and dog(s) gets stronger with each run.  Frequently during those training sessions I am running well under sub 4 minute mile pace, attached to two dogs capable of pulling 6 times their own weigh with ease.  I weigh just over 50kg and they both weigh around 25kg, you do not need to be a mathematician to work out what that means….

Basically I am relying on trust when I run at speed with them.  I need to know that together we can react as a team to any situation thrown at us – whether it is a rabbit in danger of losing its life, an off lead dog, hole in ground etc.  Trust is something that Spike and I together have yet to master.

A happy Spike
So opting for the easy option I chose to progress my Sub 4 minute mile training with Kez and Kroi.  The result was that my times got quicker, but Spike started becoming depressed.  Although he was still running most days he was no longer part of the main team and his behaviour changed.  For a while we just assumed that it was a sign that his condition was worsening and his running days were almost over.  In January we were forewarned that his life expectancy would be 6-9 months and 4 months later it was sort of expected.

I guess Spike refuses to accept this diagnosis, a bit like me and my ankle situation…..

As I said earlier, we made a commitment when we agreed to adopt him.  We would give him the best life possible and keep him happy for as long as possible.  He was clearly not happy and was getting really upset when I went off running with the others.  So we decided to give him another chance. 
The plan was simple, I would run him with Kroi on a one mile route and if he could keep up without showing any signs of distress then we would bring him back into the “Dream Team”….

And so at 4:15 am one day this week we dragged ourselves out of bed and headed over to the trail that we have been practising on lately.  Ian set off down the trail with Kez and I waited with Spike and Kroi.  After 2 minutes I said “let’s go” and off they went.  First quarter of a mile is uphill, but we covered it in 1 minute and 1 second.  Then a further ascent and two blind 90 degree turns to cope with before the final 1/3 of a mile which includes a gentle decline.  The two turns slowed us down dramatically, but as we exited the second I could see Ian and Kez and knew that we were going to catch them before the one mile point.  I then had to make the decision as to try and overtake which would slow us down considerably or just stop when we reached them.

I opted for the overtake manoeuvre.... placing all my trust in Kroi to take us safely past and that Spike would happily follow.
As Kroi ran alongside his brother he looked over to him, made eye contact and started slowing down.  I took a very deep breath and told Kroi to “go on”, and he did.  He flew past Kez taking Spike and me with him.   I summoned all my physical strength and tried desperately to keep up and Spike ignored Kez and tried to obey me and Kroi.
With the Huskies Running team

It worked.  Our last ¼ mile was four minute mile pace precisely.  Our overall time was 4:21 but to finish at the pace we did I truly believe that a flat and straight course will easily help us lose us 10 seconds, but can it help with the rest?  I do not know the answer but I am willing to give it a go, with Spike…

And since this run Spike has started smiling again.  He is clearly not yet ready to give up running with his friends and I still believe I can live the dream J