Sunday 9 August 2015

I got it wrong....

Prior to my recent ankle operation I thought a lot about how my temporary disability would affect our four dogs, three Siberian Huskies and one Special Husky.  The dogs that I either run or walk each and every day, both in the morning and in the evening, sometimes in between...  I was not worried about their exercise needs being met as I knew that Ian would help with that.  I just wondered how they would cope with the sudden and dramatic change to their lifestyle.  I have been surprised with what I have seen so far….


The one we call “Superbrat”,” boss dog” and “little s**t” has been the biggest surprise.  The dog that screams at the door pre 5am, demanding to go running, likes to run at supersonic speed and has the sort of attitude that most people would consider “arrogant” has hardly left my side.  He watches my every move and when I get up, so does he.  He sleeps on my good foot and follows me upstairs every time I struggle upstairs on crutches.  When not sleeping on my foot he comes to check up on me, many times a day.  Sometimes he just walks up to me, places his head on my lap and them walks away again.  His brother does the same.

His brother is a very nervous dog and while lying in the house will not allow anyone to step over him.  He leaps up and moves away.  Yet when I try to manoeuvre around him on crutches or wheelchair assisted he remains where he is, but tucks his feet out the way.  He hates being brushed and yet this week he has patiently stood or lie on the ground as I brushed him from a wheelchair.

Our eldest dog that struggles every day with breathing and disorientation has appeared to be very quiet and relaxed.  On such a hot day like today I feared he would be huffing and puffing all day long, but no, he was just slept in either the living room or kitchen with the odd little potter up to me to say hello. 

All three Siberian Huskies appear to have accepted the change and are very accommodating in managing their behaviour around me.  I have known these guys since the day they were born.  I guess they know me well and the trust and respect that I have given them is now being repaid in full.

Meanwhile, Spike is the one that I worry about.  We know that he does not cope well with change.  He likes routine and patterns, each and every day.  Feed him in a different spot and he will not eat.  Take him on a different route and he becomes fearful, holding back until his confidence is given a boost by his human companion.   Spike has experienced pain, trauma and surgery.  He has endured long rest periods and exercise restrictions that I would not enforce upon my worst enemy.  For some reason I thought that he would be the one that understood.

But I was wrong.  I need to keep reassuring him.  Cuddles and hugs help, but still he jumps at every opportunity – when I try to go past one crutches or in my chair.  He looks at me with a fearful expression on his face.  He does not understand and it scares him.  The others trust and respect me and know that whatever I do they will be okay, they have nothing to fear.  Spike has never known this level of trust and confidence and I feel very saddened about that fact.  I want to alleviate his fears and let him know that it is okay, he has nothing to worry about, but cannot because the connection that he and I have does not give that to him.

But that is okay, I can give him some extra hugs and try to explain to him how life is different now and it is okay.  One day soon we will run together, just like we used to :-)