Friday 9 August 2013

Nose digging is not a suitable alternative to running...

Nose digging?
Apparently what one does to dissipate excess energy....
This week has been a very emotional week.  Facing the reality of Spike’s disabilities has reminded me of my own weaknesses.  The ankle that causes me to limp every day and the toe joint that suffers as a result.  But I will never complain.   I refuse to accept that pain should restrict me or stop me doing what I love.  It would appear that Spike also has this same philosophy as he never complains and is determined to run, each and every day – us humans tell him no, he defies us!

It would appear that this husky and I have a few things in common.  Quite simply we refuse to give up on what we love… 

Anyway, pain and I have a very symbiotic relationship, the more it hurts the deeper I dig and the more inspired I become…. Dreams are created and “dreams are what propel us into action”, well they certainly give me the preverbal kick up the butt anyway…..  Not sure if a husky can be inspired, and if he could I am sure his dreams would be something like “actually catching the deer that ran in front of me” or “running free without the constraints of a human”.

It was with these thoughts in my mind that I started making plans for Spike and I this week.  As we received confirmation of his “disabilities” I started creating dreams....

Spike has hip dysplaysia and probable elbow dysplaysia.  He wants to run but is not allowed to run.  I have half an ankle joint and was told to never run more than a mile.  Well I think the exact words were “you will never run a marathon, but you might manage to run a mile”.   Well, does anyone want to take a guess at how many miles I have run since then?  And while you are playing the game, do you want to guess how quickly I can run one of “these miles” – husky assisted of course!

Anyone that knows me well will know where I am going with this writing…. Spike and I are about to go on a mission and we are about to defy the odds.  Watch this space as one very determined husky and his human helper are going to prove that there are always exceptions to the rule(s).  Dreams will always find a way to win, if you truly believe and are not afraid of hard work and determination, plus a lot of help from some amazing people…


Thank you – those amazing people that are helping Spike are helping us to give him what I believe he deserves.  He wants to run, and he will run.  It is that simple.