Sunday 15 April 2012

Poetry in motion: in a parallel universe


Watching the two brothers run side by side, stride by stride, mile after mile is a joy to behold. Unspoken words between them, they frequently match each others action. Synchronised responses to a sound, smell or movement from the undergrowth. Running for several hours this morning in the Wiltshire countryside reminded me exactly why I run, and why I run with huskies.

So much sadness and tension of late, this weekend has seen us transported to a parallel universe where happiness, joy and fun have roamed free for a little while.

Parkrun yesterday nearly did not happen, last minute work panic for Ian requiring his immediate attention. If I went to parkrun,I would have to go alone. Suddenly scared and fearful of not being able to cope on my own, I hesitated and hovered in the house....

A few nose punches from Kroi, some paw slapping from Kez and I was convinced that we would be better running as a team than crawling back into bed.

Newbury parkrun was the chosen event, due to the fact that a special friend was running her 100th parkrun. An awesome achievement, well deserving of recognition and support. We had once before visited Newbury parkrun. The day Kroi broke the 18 minute barrier for the first time. Newbury holds one huge advantage over most other parkruns from a Sandra/ Husky perspective..... It does not involve multiple laps! Set up by the original King and Queen of parkrun (Rach and Mark) it is fast earning a very positive reputation. I for one know that it is only a matter of time (and practise) before a certain little puppy produces a very special performance on this course.....

Arriving at the start was a rather emotional affair, lots of friends and words of support. Seeing Elaine and how excited she was about running her 100th parkrun and I was delighted that I had made the effort to be there.

And the actual run? Due to my lack of preparation, and faffing around, I missed the start. I was there in position with Kez and Kroi, but with no neckline attached. Everyone started running and I could not follow. Running two dogs at speed amongst human runners without a neckline is a reckless and foolish choice. Safety is paramount and I have seen too many out of control dogs and the reactions from non dog running people to do what I know is wrong.

Knowing that the first ½ mile of Newbury parkrun is very congested and that there were nearly 200 runners in front of me, I considered pulling out of the run and going for a run in the opposite direction. An inexperienced puppy slaloming amongst human runners and dogs would require phenomenal amounts of control and restraint.

And then I thought of Kobi and Ian. What would I tell them? “Sorry, couldn't be bothered with the challenge so I took the easy option...??”

That was all it took to convince me to run down the same path as all the other runners. Neckline securely attached, one word from me and the boys leapt off the start line. Many stop/ starts were to follow as we tried to safely manoeuvre through the runners. There were times when there were no gaps safe enough to pass through, and we came to a standstill until it was safe. Having to go wide of many dogs also resulted in huge detours and risky (to my ankle) routes. The boys were amazing, responding to my every word. Fellow runners were brilliant, parting like the Red Sea to make safe our passage...

When we finally had a clear path I asked them to pick up the pace, and they responded in fine style. Wearing my Garmin, I am fully aware of what pace it considered I was running, and it is safe to say that I am closer to one very long held dream than I realised.....

I caught up with the front runners just before half way and chose to sit just behind them. As we ran round the final bend, and into the very long home straight, I noticed that Kez was trotting and looked a little uncomfortable running alongside Kroi's bounding stride. I also know that Kez runs best when he is running from the front, as does Kroi. They both relax as soon as there are no runners in front of them, usually speeding up without me having to ask. I picked up the pace and Kez responded. Lungs and legs burning, we flew to the finish and a very respectable official time of 17:38. (Garmin time was 16:58). As we sprinted to the finish tears flooded my eyes. An outright win, done in such an amazing way was a true tribute to Ian and Kobi, and to all those that never give up on their dreams.....

Running in the Wiltshire countryside this morning I thought a lot about our parkrun of yesterday and all the runs I have done with all of the dogs, ever since my first husky nearly two decades ago. During parkruns I harness their power and we run as a team, them assisting me, me trying to keep up with them. On our long training runs they are not harnessed to me. They have the freedom to run in front, behind or to the side, they have as much freedom as 20 ft leads will allow. I can truly appreciate their beauty in a way I cannot when I am staring only at their tails! They do not physically help me, but they definitely help me emotionally and psychologically. If they run in front, I do not want them to be restrained by the lead when it goes taught upon their collar, so I run faster and give them the freedom that they so deserve.

We are blessed with the running trails that are on our doorstep. Miles of traffic free countryside with such delights as fields of baby pigs and baby sheep, hyperactive hares and delightful deer. Seeing or meeting these creatures when accompanied by huskies offers brilliant speed and strength training . Strangely enough when running without the dogs I don't appear to get this additional training benefit....

Another fabulous run completed, we returned home to breakfast and further happy sights. Kez appears to have transformed into a young puppy, so happy and playful, cheekily playing with Kroi. He smiles every time Ian or I speak to him and he wags his tail and bottom in a way I have never previously seen him do.

I want to stay in this parallel universe......