Saturday 10 December 2011

I dream of fire... and fire comes to me...


Some dreams I willingly share, others I keep close to my heart...

Several years ago, when Kez was a puppy and I had only just moved to the village of Winterbourne Dauntsey, I had a dream....

It was one of those dreams where one awakens not quite sure where one is... was it a dream, or did it actually happen..

At the time I was going through a tough patch in life, one of those times when you question all that is happening around you. Question everything yet find no answers...

I dreamed a very special dream, where Kez had grown from a puppy into a phenomenal ultra running husky, known to many. He had changed from a rebellious nightmare of a teenage husky into a dog that was respected by many through his attitude and his behaviour.

We (the other huskies and I) were known for helping children, helping inspire them to run and to participate in sport...

Kez had become famous and was considered so inspirational that Lord Coe believed him worthy of Olympic recognition. He asked Kez (and I as his running companion) to carry the Olympic Torch to its destination in the Olympic Stadium just before the 2012 Olympic Games....


This dream was dreamed many years ago, well before I knew that there would be an Olympic Torch Relay, consisting of 8,000 people from the United Kingdom of Great Britain..

In June this year I became aware of the torch relay. Sue Hendry from Pets Health for Animals (Trion:Z for pets) had nominated me to carry the torch with Kobi, our little rescue husky, who has his very own inspirational story to tell....

On Thursday 8th December, I received an email that I still find hard to accept. The email contained the words "congratulations" and "successful", all relating to the torch relay. I also received a very special badge in the post, and a personal comment from one of the judges on the panel. All the evidence and facts point towards the unimaginable.... On 12th July, 2012 I will hold in my hands a most precious item. I will hold the Olympic Torch, alight, on fire and on its way to London. The flame that symbolises so much of what we as a modern society are in dange of losing..... When I hold it I will hold it for many people. Each and ever one of them will be with me, in my mind and in my heart.

Every day I hear of sadness in this world. What if I could turn this opportunity into happiness...? What if I could take this opportunity to promote something that could inspire a nation, inspire a great many people and raise a huge amount of money for charity??

P.S. for those that do not believe in dreams.... When I wrote my first book, I wrote of this dream. That was in 2008, yesterday I checked...:-)

(image courtesy of BBC Olympic page)