Sunday 18 January 2015

This is not the end, dreams are forever

This week I received some news that scared me and yet filled me with excitement for the future.
The photo that says it all :-)
Ooh, which colour for 2015?

For many months I have been preparing myself for the imminent minor surgery on my ankle that would “take me out of action” for 6 weeks or so.  Unfortunately based on my recent MRI scan the surgical intervention to reduce my pain is going to be a little bit more complicated than I hoped and my recovery will involve a minimum of three months on crutches.  If you are squeamish, please do not read the next paragraph as I am about to describe the procedure….

The operation involves drilling through the talus bone to make it bleed and “erupt” over the surface of the bone, creating scar tissue which will take the place of the missing cartilage within the ankle joint.  Hopefully surgery will be performed via keyhole (arthroscopy) but if access to the area cannot be reached that way then a section of my fibula (the thin bone next to the tibia) will be removed to allow full operational access and then bolted back together.

Some of the Dream Team...
However, the prognosis based on this procedure is very good from both a life and running perspective.  I will never lead a completely pain free life, but I will be able to do anything that I want to, well almost anything!  And the good news is that this week’s x-rays have confirmed that both metatarsal fractures (in the opposing foot to the injured ankle) remain fully healed and have coped well with my return to running.

This will be the fourth operation on my ankle and all surgeries have been performed by a wonderful consultant that believes in me and all that I do.  Each time he has performed surgery on my ankle I have gone on to do amazing things: run around 90 marathons and ultras; run thousands of miles with Siberian Huskies; won National Championships; earned two Great Britain vests and run in Commonwealth, European and World Championships.  I have created dreams and lived those dreams thanks to him.


The time to beat....
It is with this knowledge that I will undergo this surgery and believe deep in my heart that all my running related dreams will wait for me to recover.  Dreams never die; they just sometimes sleep for a while.

The operation will probably take place before the spring months.  At the moment I am able to run thanks to a very high pain threshold and the knowledge that I am not damaging the ankle further.  I am going to go on a very special dream quest, running faster that I have ever done in my life, but only for one mile.  I have 4:13 to beat and I am going to ask for help from some very special Siberian Huskies.

(images with grateful thanks to Ian J Berry and Runners World)