Saturday 11 April 2009

Accepting my own Challenge - Eat Bambi...


I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years.  Not eaten any meat since I was a child.  
This is about to change, I am going to eat meat....  
I started eating fish last year in order to ensure my body was getting enough protein, omega 3 etc. and also to broaden the variety of food available to me.  For the past three months I have been trying desperately to increase the iron (ferritin) levels in my blood.  I need this iron to help the oxygen uptake of my blood when I am training, need it to help me improve my running efficiency and ability.
The body needs oxygen in every cell, the iron in hemoglobin (within the red blood cells) carry this oxygen from the lungs to where it is needed.  Also if iron levels are low, the body cannot use all the energy available to it, as iron is essential for the chemical reactions that produce energy from food.
I have eaten copious amounts of spinach, and green vegetables, taken vitamin tablets combined with iron supplements (vitamin C assists the absorption of iron).  It has not been enough.  I have always known that there is no replacement for the haem iron found in meat, other sources provide non-haem iron (cereal, bread, vegetables, eggs) but are not absorbed by the body as effectively as haem iron.  
My blood test this week proves that my ferritin levels are still low.  
Three months ago I was advised that meat would give my body what it needs.  I responded by saying that I closed no door to what I might need do in order to improve, but it would be a huge challenge just to put meat in my mouth, never mind eat it regularly.  
I am now preparing myself for one of my biggest challenges yet - I am going to start eating meat.  I will do it as a controlled experiment over the next three months.  My future could change immensely if it proves successful.
I have researched which meats will fit best for me from a nutritional and also an ethical perspective and have decided that the first meat I want to eat is venison.  I apologise to all those dedicated vegetarians out there.  I choose to break a long term commitment made as a child, in pursuit of a dream.  
I think I might watch Bambi one last time before I do........